He got fired because he was better dressed than the Boss?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Young Gentleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

1. No matter what anybody here says about dressing for yourself, you dress for the sitaution. Your friend was dumb for dressing in a way that was not appropriate for the situation.
    2. It's good that he doesn't intend to sue because he has no case.

Just bc you have something flashy doesn't mean it's appropriate for the office. If I came into an inheritance this afternoon and bought a Ferrari, I sure as hell wouldn't drive it to work. In fact, none of my coworkers would know about it.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

+1 to all this. Assuming this story is actually for real, your friend is a moron.

3. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Well, in the real world using employment-at-will is like bringing a proverbial knife to the gunfight. I am a member of the easiest class to fire so I certainly see your point though.

4. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Reading this, I'm tempting the idea of applying for a greeter position at the Wal-Mart just so I can be interviewed wearing an Armani suit. ;)

5. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

The reality of business is that image is very important. Over-dressing is sometimes just as negative as under-dressing. The non-verbal statements one makes is a far more powerful message than what one says verbally; clothing is part of this non-verbal communication. Wearing overly flashy or expensive clothing can lead to a feeling of distrust. If you would like an example of this, you don't have to look any further than used car salesmen and preachers.

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I like this post

7. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Your point is very valuable, but the precent story the friend is meant to be a top achiever...... his image is surely good?
    I have a feeling that if he hasn't been told off until his new boss, and if such thing happened, surely he would have some contact detail of his client and possible help out of his job, and his dressing was probably approved by the industry but not his insecure boss

Overall, I would not to work in a company who reacts to things like this, it just doesn't sound innovative, interesting and challenging company for me.....

8. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

The real reason why he got fired. The dressing thing was just the boss trying to make his life difficult.

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

This story reeks of embellishment or outright bullshit.

And if it's true, OP's friend is not smart.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

What's really annoying are the guys in bespoke clothes who work for no salary at all, or a nominal salary of $1/year.

11. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Haha i was about to say something along these lines. While i do agree that the OP's friend should have listened and maybe stopped the DB's or lose the waistcoat i dont see a problem with people wearing expensive clothes in the work place. If it was just a bespoke navy blue/charcoal/grey/any of the previous with pinstripes i dont see a problem. I mean lets face it, like the OP said his friend came from money so this is what he is used too, he should not have to run to jos. a. bank and waste money just to try and fit in.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

1. I agree with most of the posts on the thread
    2. if your clients/customers are noticing your dress, and confuse your boss with your assistant, there is a problem
    3. one of my reports has about 30K worth of watches, gifts from his inlaws. he gets really pissed off that he keeps coming in and telling people how broke he is and how he needs a raise and he can't pay for his kids school, and they all point to his watches. he exagurates his poverty, but the watches make his position weak, and he doesn't get it.

13. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

And tons of stock and stock options in the corporation, taxed at rates way below their minions' salaries. Poor blighters.

I've heard reports of well-to-do elderly people who live off the interest and dividends of their investments, who pay $0 in federal taxes. All perfectly legal, and without any dodges like offshore. Meanwhile, families with two medium salaries and two kids get hammered. While I'm all in favor of making things easier for the elderly, something seems worrying about that.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]