• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hazing in Greek Life

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
My best friends ended up sharing a common room between two dorm rooms with a guy that was in a frat. He ended up becoming one of my good friends, so we went to Greek parties through him. Most of them were pretty lame, and always had a long line of drunks waiting 20 minutes to get a beer from a keg. The best parties I went to in college were not frat parties.

I go to a school with very high greek life participation so there's enough parties for all, but this is a problem only independents have... To be fair we throw the parties for the girls and the guys lucky enough to get in.

CJones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
I go to a school with very high greek life participation so there's enough parties for all, but this is a problem only independents have... To be fair we throw the parties for the girls and the guys lucky enough to get in.

I'm guessing either University of Mississippi or Alabama?

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJones
I'm guessing either University of Mississippi or Alabama?
Hahahha they wish. It's a good school academically, but for liability reasons, I won't publicly state wear. Once you know the fraternity and school it's far too easy to easy to get in trouble.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9/10 of the frat parties I've been to have sucked.

CJones

Reaction score
Hahahha they wish. It's a good school academically, but for liability reasons, I won't publicly state wear. Once you know the fraternity and school it's far too easy to easy to get in trouble.
1) That post made very little sense. 2) I just guessed those two because they are the two biggest frat schools in the South. I'm sure they are dying to have you.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and this du is in college?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Frat parties are the DT of college life. Absolutely and entirely based around nothing but circle jerking each other, and it seems stupid and adolescent to anyone not actively a part of it.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw come on. That's like pieing someone in the face with some sort of nut covered pie and not knowing they're allergic. That's an accident that could happen from a few guys tussling around. If the fraternity keeps it "reasonable" to the point where the health risk difference from not joining isn't significant then they've done their job. You could say it wouldn't have happened without the pledgeship, but honestly, with conditions like that, any number of factors outside the fraternity's control could cause problems.

By the way...NEVER do that.

CJones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y

You're forgetting that he's frat/beer double major.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would very much recommend not leaving a written record about this stuff. Even if you have no intention of continuing these behaviors in the future you can still bring a world of hurt down on you and your brothers. It isn't unlikely someone on SF couldn't figure out your Alma mater and rightfully report you.

If I ever engaged in hazing I wouldn't talk about it openly on a forum. I've been out of undergrad for several years and am still concerned with possible repercussions. I (could) have done a few things I'm not proud of and regret, but I most certainly wouldn't publicly share these things. These things can really bite you **********.

- tapa Talk post sorry if incoherent

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I would very much recommend not leaving a written record about this stuff. Even if you have no intention of continuing these behaviors in the future you can still bring a world of heart down on you and your brothers. It isn't unlikely someone on SF couldn't figure out your Alma mater and rightfully report you.

If I ever engaged in hazing I wouldn't talk about it openly on a forum. I've been out of undergrad for several years and am still scared of some of the repercussions. I (could) have done a few things I'm not proud of and regret, but I most certainly wouldn't publicly share these things. These things can really bite you **********.

- tapa Talk post sorry if incoherent

Yeah, you're right. I'm wrapping this one up for now. I'm pretty sure in many people's heads, like any frat boy, I'm seething with anger and trying to **** on independents. Honestly, I was just asking for advice and hoping to start a discussion. I have tried to be receptive, ad I'm certainly not trying to provoke a fight. I was looking for advice outside of my comfort zone towards a subject that I care greatly about. Sorry if that offends so many people.

The tone of this thread is getting nasty, and I won't reduce myself to a flame war, not when I have a long paper to write/finals to study for (yeah imagine that). If anyone truly is interested in discussing the merits of greek life and/or hazing with me, feel free to continue this over PM. I've been mostly vague, and honestly, what I've written could be attributed to a lot of people, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Originally Posted by CJones
You're forgetting that he's frat/beer double major.
I have brothers that don't drink believe it or not. I try to perform well academically, and by and large I do. My brothers tutor me and help me study, and our pledges have 15 mandatory study hours a week to make sure their grades stay solid. I treat all independents I meet with the same respect I would treat any other human being before making generalizations. The only GDI's fraternity men **** on and get aggressive mad are about are those who provoke that behavior just like any other human beings (though I'm sure there are plenty of bad seeds who are genuinely assholes). I'm not bragging about my school, you don't even know what it is. I don't go to HYPS, and I also don't go to Duke or Vanderbilt. I probably shouldn't have made such a statement I guess in the first place. Sorry if that offended you,

Originally Posted by mike868y
Sorry I made a typo. It's late, I'm procrastinating, and I made a spelling mistake. I try to punctuate, capitalize, and type maturely when I can, but I messed up I guess.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
.. Good call

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aw come on. That's like pieing someone in the face with some sort of nut covered pie and not knowing they're allergic. That's an accident that could happen from a few guys tussling around. If the fraternity keeps it "reasonable" to the point where the health risk difference from not joining isn't significant then they've done their job. You could say it wouldn't have happened without the pledgeship, but honestly, with conditions like that, any number of factors outside the fraternity's control could cause problems.

fact is it happened in hazing. and there are laws here with regards to hazing. kid lost his life for something so worthless and insignificant, and a handful of fraternity brothers wasted the prime of their lives in prison for something so worthless and insignificant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics