• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawes and Curtis Leather Jacket Quality?

JrayB

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am looking at this leather jacket that is on clearance at Hawes and Curtis. I don't have a lot of experience with Hawes and Curtis other wool trousers I have which I am impressed by the quality. Does anyone know if their leather jackets are any good? Or know of something in the under $300 price range that would be a better choice. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• leather.jpg
    leather.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 138

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very difficult to find a "quality" leather jacket for your price point. The first issue that jumps out: no mention of what type of leather. Second issue, no mention of where it's made. Unless you're buying used, "quality" leather jackets are $800+ . If you go over to the Fedora Lounge website, you'll find a lot of leather jacket officianodos. People there should be able to help you find something acceptable in your price point.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@troika recently bought jacket from Five Star Leather for about $130. I thought it looked surprisingly good

I think it's worth starting first with the look you're trying to create, and then go from there. Rather than buying based on a standalone measure of quality. Different types of leather will hang differently and thus create a slightly different look.

Peter Ngyuen used to work with Robert Geller on his leather jacket line. He wrote a useful guide here on how to understand quality.

Generally don't like posting my own stuff because it seems gross and self-promotional, but you may find this post useful. It's a general guide to leather jackets.

And some ideas on how to find a leather jacket for cheap (tends to be vintage, and tends to be cowhide)

One more post about different ways to think about leather jackets.

I don't know anything about Hawes and Curtis, but I owned a black A-2 bomber like that once. I sold it because the style and color made me feel like Fonzie. If you get a black leather like that, I think it's easier to style with black jeans, rather than blue jeans. But for a more traditional look, or something you can wear with blue jeans, I would do the same style but in brown.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's no different than shoes. There are shoes that look similar but different manufacturers have different levels of quality. This site has people with a lot of experience with different shoes and manufacturers, so a great place to get advice on shoes. Not as much leather jackets. You always get better advice from people with actual experience. I think if the OP actually visits the Fedora Lounge, they'll see a vast array of leather jacket styles. So, advice from someone who has bought from multiple companies is just as valuable with leather jackets as it is with leather shoes.
From personal experience, I bought a leather jacket about 12 years ago from a mens store. Looked fantastic, no real construction issues. However, over the first year I realized the quality of the leather was very poor - just the seatbelt in my car was scratching it terribly. The leather wasn't think enough or tanned in a way that would let you brush or rub out the scratches. So, it looked like crap. I now have a front quarter horse hide jacket from Aero leather. Had it for 4 years and it still looks fantastic. There are some minor scratches but absolutely nothing like what happened to the other jacket.

So, a $130 jacket may look great on day 1. Just like a $20 pair of shoes may look good as a picture on the internet. You want to know how they hold up a few years down the road.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally don't like the looks at Fedora Lounge. I think a lot of the guys buy into the idea of quality, but they're dressed in a very vintage way that I don't find appealing. But to each their own.

There's a leather jacket thread on this forum where lots of guys have experience with high-end leathers and dress in a way that I think looks better than Fedora Lounge type looks.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@troika recently bought jacket from Five Star Leather for about $130. I thought it looked surprisingly good

I think it's worth starting first with the look you're trying to create, and then go from there. Rather than buying based on a standalone measure of quality. Different types of leather will hang differently and thus create a slightly different look.

Peter Ngyuen used to work with Robert Geller on his leather jacket line. He wrote a useful guide here on how to understand quality.

Generally don't like posting my own stuff because it seems gross and self-promotional, but you may find this post useful. It's a general guide to leather jackets.

And some ideas on how to find a leather jacket for cheap (tends to be vintage, and tends to be cowhide)

One more post about different ways to think about leather jackets.

I don't know anything about Hawes and Curtis, but I owned a black A-2 bomber like that once. I sold it because the style and color made me feel like Fonzie. If you get a black leather like that, I think it's easier to style with black jeans, rather than blue jeans. But for a more traditional look, or something you can wear with blue jeans, I would do the same style but in brown.

Thanks Derek, yes I did. I will say that it is super quality, fit and finish. Not for that price, but for any reasonable price.

Without knowing too much about your background or what your looking for out of a leather jacket, @JrayB, going with Five Star requires you to measure a jacket that fits well and pick the size that bets fits you. Going by their letter sizing is not useful.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Derek, yes I did. I will say that it is super quality, fit and finish. Not for that price, but for any reasonable price.

Do you think this has to do with how yours was made from suede? Rather than a smoother leather? I've found that some producers can get around quality issues better with suede, as it's either reversed calf or split.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think this has to do with how yours was made from suede? Rather than a smoother leather? I've found that some producers can get around quality issues better with suede, as it's either reversed calf or split.

Absolutely this is true, however looking through the Fedora Lounge thread on 5*, it seems like people are really happy with their makes overall. They're using super heavy leathers, different animal hides (seal, horse, sheep, goat, cow, etc) special dyes, new fits from scratch, etc.

The only thing that sucks on my jacket are the rivet buttons, they are trash. But that's what the folks had in hand, and I think they can source whatever you want anyway.

I would equate 5* to luxire: they'll make whatever you want, with a high level of craftsmanship, and source nice materials. But they have 0 original designs and you have to be pedantic about the details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads