1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hawaiian Shirt Mojo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HEARTLESS-531, May 4, 2011.

1. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

Do any of you own an Hawaiian shirt and if so, how do you wear it? Can you pull off the look? Ok. Ok. I know someone is going to post the requisite Tom Selleck shot. But seriously, can't these shirts look nice with a pair of light wool summer trousers and loafers?

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Around here they are worn by suburban dads to BBQ's (Tommy Bahama brand usually) or by skinny hipsters. On a rare occasion I will see an athletic and sun tanned guy wearing one at the beach with shorts and it will look OK but not great. They look awful on pale white guys anytime and anywhere.

3. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

Around here they are worn by suburban dads to BBQ's (Tommy Bahama brand usually) or by skinny hipsters. On a rare occasion I will see an athletic and sun tanned guy wearing one at the beach with shorts and it will look OK but not great. They look awful on pale white guys anytime and anywhere.
    Every white guy in the Bay Area is a pale white guy, unless they are using tanning beds. You have very little sun. As Mark Twain said, "the coldest winter of my life was a summer in San Francisco." Having said that, I think Tommy Bahama type shirts can look good with a pair of khakis. I think just about anything looks awful on a pale white guy.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I wear Hawaiian shirts almost every day from May through August.

But, I am hardly a paragon of either style or fashion, so ymmv.

5. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

It all depends on how comfortable you feel wearing one. I work in a casual environment and I wear one to work every Friday. People compliment me on my Aloha shirts all the time.
    I also wear a sport coat to work in the cooler months and while it did raise a few eyebrows and inquiries the first few times, I simply didn't care and now no one asks me why I am wearing one.
    What matters is that you enjoy what you wear and don't feel self conscious/uncomfortable.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

o/o has a dazzling range of Hawaiian shirts. Hopefully he'll post something in this thread!

I like the idea of them, but they're not really going to get worn where I live! Instead, I have a couple of brightly coloured solid linen Andre-collar shirts from Loro Piana that serve a similar "relaxed summer fun" place in my wardrobe.

7. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

This is a standard summer combination for me. It is an abdication of standards and I decry it. If I'm doing anything more lawyerly than sitting in my office communicating with my co-workers or by telephone/email with outsiders, I wear lawyer duds. But in DC summers, even my most tropical suits/shirts are to much for comfort when I'm commuting by public transit/foot and walking out for lunch or errands. I do however, keep a couple of suits and related accoutrements in the office.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If it's a bit cooler and/or less humid, I might do this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I bought several Hawaiian shirts on my vacation to Maui and wear them quite frequently during the summer. I agree with Glenn O'Brien's observation that these shirts look best on guys you would least expect to wear them.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

about 10 years ago I had a great year, and I decided to go "all hawaiian" for a year. that's all I wore to the office for about a year. I like them, I haven't worn any for a while, but not because of a conscious decision.

10. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

Olddog -Nice looks - Dapper! My favorite is the white sports coat.

11. greger

greger Senior member

Looks good oldog/oldtrix.

12. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

That's the standard biz uniform around here; nicer slacks and a tucked-in aloha shirt. Gotta be a good one, though. The traditionals were Tori Richard and Reyn Spooner.

13. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

I loathe Hawaiian shirts. But if there is such a thing as a proper way to wear one, it would be like oldog/oldtrix did.

14. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

Do any of you own an Hawaiian shirt and if so, how do you wear it? Can you pull off the look? Ok. Ok. I know someone is going to post the requisite Tom Selleck shot. But seriously, can't these shirts look nice with a pair of light wool summer trousers and loafers?

Even when I lived in Hawaii, I refused to wear one...ugly as sin!

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like them and wear them. But mostly very casually. Usually with chinos and zoris.
    I only like 1 or 2-color shirts and really like reverse print best.

[​IMG]

16. Hodaddy

Hodaddy Well-Known Member

FYI - The proper term is Aloha Shirt.

17. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

This. Traditionally, they're worn untucked, they have a straight skirt, but in de-modren biz wear they're worn tucked, like oldog. His are a size too big, though.

18. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Nat Nast silk camp shirts are a better look

19. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Yes, I do. I wear it when I go back home to Hawaii and need to attend a semi-formal event.

Oh, and I keep them back home at my parent's place.