1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hawaii vacation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jun 14, 2005.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I don't remember Oahu as well as I do Maui, but I do remember that I felt that I had pretty much seen it all in the 3 days that we were there. The only major attraction we weren't able to see was the Pearl Harbor memorial. We landed in Hawaii on September 10, 2001, you see, and the memorial was temporarily closed shortly thereafter. We hiked up Diamond Head, which provides spectacular views, and is a fairly easy hike. We also visited the Dole Plantation, which I cannot advise you strongly enough to avoid. Dole tee shirts and soft serve pineapple ice cream - a terrible tourist trap.

We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki, which is right on the beach (Waikiki and Honolulu are basically right next to each other). There was a lot of high end retail near where we stayed (I remember Gucci and Ferragamo, specifically) - no bargains there, but some good brousing. There's a great Hawaiian shirt/panama hat store called Newt at the Royal (located at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel). I remember that we went out to one nice restaurant, but I can't remember the name. I know we ate at the Royal Hawaiian, which is right next door to the Sheraton, and the food was very good.

Hopefully others can give you some advice regarding good restaurants or other things to see. If not, there is always the concierge.

Enjoy.

Jeff

2. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I had been worn about the Dole plantation. For having been **near** the pineapple plantation on Moorea (French Polynesia), I knew better.

If I could find a pleasant walk that would lead me away from bustling places, that would be perfect. If I could be in the presence of native hawaiians, that would be even better.

3. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I love the most touristy spot of them all: Waikiki. Great beach, great sights. The "town" of Waikiki has world-class shopping, famous dining and all the tourist traps you'll want to try.

Try to get a table for drinks and dinner at Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki. For elegant dining, see if you can get in at the Halekulani Hotel: La Mer is outstanding; House Without a Key is relaxed and old-Hawaii.

You've got to go to Diamond Head: take the hike into the crater; see the lighthouse.

Hanauma Bay: snorkeling in an underwater "park"; tends to get busy with tourists, but you're in off-season, so might be worth a visit. (Two other inlets are just as cool and less crowded: Chinaman's Hat (up the coast from Kaneohe on the windward side) and Goat Island on the North Shore. Both are secluded, but require a hike to get there.)

Touristy, but informative: Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie.

See big surf at Banzai Pipeline, although the big waves are in winter. Waimea Bay is pretty gentle this time of year, great for swimming or snorkeling.

The Iolani Palace, Honolulu is beautiful.

A great place to catch the sights and sounds of Waikiki is just about anywhere along Kalalaua Avenue. East end of Kalakaua is Kapi'olani Park.

Pearl Harbor: US Navy has free tours that are better than commercial ones, but require an early rise. They're first-come-first-served.

The Bishop Museum is awesome.

Hilo Hattie's has a huge store on Nimitz Highway (free shuttles from Waikiki) and they have a huge sale every 4th of July. You're right on time.

Have fun.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Thanks, Dakota Rube. I'll be right off Waikiki beach, so I suppose if I wake up early enough (counting on jetlag), a walk should be spectacular. I'll try to get to the palace out of curiosity. If I can manage it within my schedule, I'll go on the crater hike.

5. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has already been covered in this thread, but for a little re-affirmation:
    I went when I was younger a few times and the most fun I ever had at maui was snorkeling at molokini. In fact, it still stands as one of the most beautiful/spiritual/awe-inspiring experiences of my life. (however, I was told that the day we went out was especially beautiful)
    I absolutely HATED the road to hana. Ugh it made me want to throw up. I've never heard anyone come back from that with a positive experience (there should really be a shirt that says "i survived the road to hana")
    I vaguely remember going to the place where part of predator was filmed. I remember having fun there on the big rope swing and the setting was gorgeous

Thats about all my imput

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I was at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani in Waikiki. A bit dated, but OK.
    The problem with Louis Vuitton, Hermes, etc in Honolulu/Waikiki, is that they cater to their overwhelming Japanese clientele. I might have bought a pair of Christian Dior shoes, otherwise. I was essentially concentrating on shoes, and it was near impossible to find one pair without the famous logos or patterns.

I bought a long Hawaiian dress, sleeveless, with a slit up the side, black pearl earrings, and a black pearl necklace. And Hawaiian wine (Yikes.)

I enjoyed the ocean, and the general good mood and courteous manners of Hawaiians.

7. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Hawaii, and Oahu in particular, seems to be a hot spot for Japanese tourists. We asked our concierge about this. We were told that it's cheaper to fly from Japan to Hawaii to play golf than it is to play golf in Japan. We were also told that Oahu was sort of the Japanese Las Vegas when it comes to weddings. Once again, much cheaper to have the wedding in Oahu. We saw several Japanese wedding parties while we were there.

There is no doubt that the Oahu retail focuses on Japanese tourists. There is a member on AAAC, Leather Sole, who owns a men's shoe store in Oahu. He is branching out to Edward Green, but says he will carry mostly smaller sizes to cater specifically to Japanese men.

I also found the Hawaiian people (both those in the service industry and the general populace) to be extremely friendly and accommodating.

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I wasn't out and about much, but I did manage to see two Japanese wedding parties (photo shoot at the Royal, in particular). Puts everybody in good spirits.

Since the retailers keep Japanese women in mind, it was wonderful to be able to find my size wherever I went (I am relatively thin).

One afternoon, I asked a Hawaii police cop if he could tell me where to find a bookstore (there are none in Waikiki, btw), and he kept talking to me, asking questions, for almost half an hour. I guess they don't see French tourists often, in Hawai'i.

9. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Your accent must have been making him swoon. [​IMG]

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(Fabienne @ July 07 2005,13:44) One afternoon, I asked a Hawaii police cop if he could tell me where to find a bookstore (there are none in Waikiki, btw), and he kept talking to me, asking questions, for almost half an hour. Â I guess they don't see French tourists often, in Hawai'i.
    Your accent must have been making him swoon. Â [​IMG]
    No, I think it was my new (henna) tatoo. [​IMG]