• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

having the waist taken in on jeans

kjm

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of jean on eBay, and the fit is pretty good overall. My only problem is that the waist is about 1 inch too big. Can a tailor take in the waist on jeans? I've had dress pants altered before, but I'm wondering if there is something unique/different about the construction of jeans that would make the operation more difficult. Any thoughts?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tough because of the yoke, and generally the way jeans are made. I'm sure it can be done but trust when I say the jeans really own't look the same again.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor does darts in the back to take the waist in. It is almost undetectable and not very expensive. I have had it done to 2 jeans and my wife has almost every pair of hers done.

kjm

Reaction score
So, where did the darts go? Directly above the pockets? It seems like that would be pretty obvious.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a process like that, unless your tailor clearly knows how to do that and outlines that as a process he can perform on your jeans, I would stay away from it. Poorly done, it could ruin an otherwise good pair.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjm
So, where did the darts go? Directly above the pockets? It seems like that would be pretty obvious.

Yes and no. It would be nearly invisible to 99.9% of the population. But if anyone actually looked, it would be right there.

I wish darts on jeans were so easy for the waist; I tried it before. They don't really work. Basically, the jean has to be fully deconstructed to do things right, and you still only have so much wiggle room on that before proportions are thrown off.

I am the king of ghetto-rigging, and even I won't put darts in decent jeans.

kjm

Reaction score
So, it sounds like adding darts is a risky proposition. Should I try to have the waist taken in at the rear seam or return the jeans (yes, I found an eBay seller with a return policy!)?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
return. the operation you talk about is possible but there is an unusually high chance of ******* up for a tailoring process. You're lucky you can return, just do that.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put two darts in. My mom did it for me when I was home over break and my Nudies are fine.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
return. why pay a tailor to make a risky and unnecessary alteration when you have the option to try again, and put your money towards an item that fits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads