1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Having some job issues

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Damm....so the rest of ur summer is skrewed!!
    Hey...suk it up and know that yu will have some time off shortly...

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the stretch of a campaign. I hate to sound insensitive but what did you expect?

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Oh, I expected the long hours. But my supervisor is a Nazi. He gets upset if we take more than 15 mins. for lunch or dinner. Really my concern is just being able to do normal things like go to the grocery store and the like. That is currently difficult because my supervisor is a micromanager.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That sukks brah!

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Your supervisor will likely get a better job in the administration than you will...maybe that person will be your boss again... THAT would suck a lot.

6. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh, I expected the long hours. But my supervisor is a Nazi. He gets upset if we take more than 15 mins. for lunch or dinner. Really my concern is just being able to do normal things like go to the grocery store and the like. That is currently difficult because my supervisor is a micromanager.

This is an unusual level of unreasonableness.

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Your supervisor will likely get a better job in the administration than you will...maybe that person will be your boss again... THAT would suck a lot.
    Nah he is bitter. Not very high up on the pole on the government side of things, no real chance of advancement. He will probably depart after the election.

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

This is an unusual level of unreasonableness.
    Yes indeed.

9. Butter

Butter Senior member

my IM with conne:

honestly, it's your choice to be a small time democrat campaign whore. suck it up

I thought this was a joke but if you're actually part of a political campaign, the work hours during that stretch is what's expected normally.

Did you get into this job not knowing that would happen?

10. ohm

ohm Senior member

I am a small timer and only know a couple of people who have worked on campaigns but they both basically sacrificed their lives on the altar of the campaign for the entirety of the campaign so this sounds about par for the course. I don't know what to tell you about being angry if you take 15 minutes for dinner. Can you transition to doing something else, and working for someone else, within the campaign?

11. oman

oman Senior member

damn baby that's harsh

12. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Suck it up.

and put on a happy face. What would DPM say?

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is delicious.

14. oman

oman Senior member

This is delicious.

i bet he's going to use this as an excuse to go back to eating large fries all the time

15. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

15 minutes for lunch and dinner seems a little ridiculous, but I've worked on several campaigns that went to a seven day a week schedule for the 2-months leading up to the election so I'm not surprised.

In fact, on the first campaign I worked on after college I actually kept a sleeping bag in the trunk of my car and would sometimes just crash under my desk in the HQ rather than driving home after a long night that was followed by an early morning.

Unfortunately, this is what you do on campaigns and paying your dues is just par for the course.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

15 minutes for lunch and dinner seems a little ridiculous, but I've worked on several campaigns that went to a seven day a week schedule for the 2-months leading up to the election so I'm not surprised.

In fact, on the first campaign I worked on after college I actually kept a sleeping bag in the trunk of my car and would sometimes just crash under my desk in the HQ rather than driving home after a long night that was followed by an early morning.

Unfortunately, this is what you do on campaigns and paying your dues is just par for the course.

Something tells me young Conne is really not about dues paying.

17. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Sounds a bit like this is par for the course in this type of job at campaign time?

K

18. Butter

Butter Senior member

Something tells me young Conne is really not about dues paying.

More like someone didn't read the real job description instead of the 1 page handout.

19. oman

oman Senior member

im against entitlement and all, but i must admit that it is harsh to be asked to work crazy hours for 2 months straight in exchange for a MAYBE job offer

20. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Will they at least feed you and pay for your laundry bills?