• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having difficulty finding 'MC type' of casual shoes that I like - please give your ideas and suggest

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite working in a corporate-ish environment, I wear jeans and chinos to office about 3 out of five days. So the formal shoes- Lobbs, C&J and Vass - come out only half the time.

I am hoping for suggestions on casual shoes that I can wear to the office. Thus far I am unable to find anything I like.

It may be easier to describe what I don't want to wear: I don't want something that looks like this (or most shoes that would be a better fit for SW&D):

I don't want to wear suede if possible - Something that looks like this or a better (IMO) version thereof:

I am also not really keen on tasseled shoes, and the Yukenet/ Oak Street type of boat shoes, or mocs.

I will consider the Mark McNary suedes if that's all that remains is (see below):

Finally, here's what I would really consider buying (based on pics, not actually seen in real life). This was in the Oak Street Bootmakers thread and could be something those guys may have in the future. See the captoe on the left

I could also do the John Lobb 'Winner' range of shoes, but they're much more expensive than what I am prepared to spend ($1k and up). My price range is more $400 and down.

So my questions: Generally, where should I look for the type of casual shoes I want- or am I being too picky? In specific, do you know where I can presently buy something similar to that captoe above?

Last edited:

loreley

Reaction score
E MacNeil in Burgandy shell, should go with everything you mentioned.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
chukka boot
chelsea boot
plain toe blucher

lots of makers do these

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PTBs / Chukka boots etc are not what I am looking for either, sorry should have mentioned that.

In fact I would avoid all 'standard' leather upper and leather soled shoes. That means the usual AE/ Alden bluchers, PTBS, captoes etc.

But a chromexcel captoe with a crepe sole would be closer to the mark. I feel the softer sole would be more comfortable/ relaxed.

And - I guess I'm able to refine my choices as I write/ think about them - 'softer' upper and softer sole would be better, but not so soft as to be a sneaker

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ that's pretty limited if your'e also eliminating sneakers.

how about a canvas PTB with a brick sole?

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Non-suede captoes look bad with jeans. I really think boots and sneakers are far and away the best shoes for jeans. Personally, I'd wear brown RM Williams boots.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're qualifications for a MC casual shoe are confusing. The Oak Street shoes above look pretty close to boat shoes, yet you say you don't want Oak Street boat shoes. And these don't look like MC casual to me. Nor would I wear these to work. Off duty, sure.

You're list of disqualifications are extensive. Try Nordstrom.com or another big box retailer and filter through their casual shoes. When you find some other examples of what you do like, post an update.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ that's pretty limited if your'e also eliminating sneakers.
how about a canvas PTB with a brick sole?

Does such a thing exist? The brick sole sounds about right, but canvas upper? Any links/ pics?

You're qualifications for a MC casual shoe are confusing. The Oak Street shoes above look pretty close to boat shoes, yet you say you don't want Oak Street boat shoes. And these don't look like MC casual to me. Nor would I wear these to work. Off duty, sure.

You're list of disqualifications are extensive. Try Nordstrom.com or another big box retailer and filter through their casual shoes. When you find some other examples of what you do like, post an update.

Not sure about those look close to boat shoes- the shape and form seem different for one- but I readily agree that my disqualifications are extensive and perhaps confusing, sorry. I remain appreciative of the suggestions, though.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
alden longwings

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about those look close to boat shoes- the shape and form seem different for one- but I readily agree that my disqualifications are extensive and perhaps confusing, sorry. I remain appreciative of the suggestions, though.

The overall style is similar, waxy leather, raw laces, white rubber sole. Put a mocc toe on them, and you have a boat shoe. Hence my confusion about what characteristics you want on the shoe.

Here's an Aden longwing

Moto Style Cap Toe

bullswin

Reaction score

Despite working in a corporate-ish environment, I wear jeans and chinos to office about 3 out of five days. So the formal shoes- Lobbs, C&J and Vass - come out only half the time.

I am hoping for suggestions on casual shoes that I can wear to the office. Thus far I am unable to find anything I like.

So my questions: Generally, where should I look for the type of casual shoes I want- or am I being too picky? In specific, do you know where I can presently buy something similar to that captoe above?

I'm in a similar boat as PiperSon and my preferences (and pickiness) are similar. Parker has pointed things in a good direction, but I'd love to hear more suggestions.

btw, I recently asked Oak Street if they have an MTO offering, but unfortunately the answer is "no".

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden all weather walkers would give you the soft sole you seem to want.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC casual shoes? In order of most formal to least:

Anything suede and simple or Chukkas

Loafers

Boat shoes

PF Flyers or Tretorn in a simple style

If you want a soft sole, go for a crepe sole. They wear down quickly though.

Last edited:

kashmir

Reaction score
saddles:

george boot (I do not know of any made in suede though)

suede jodhpurs

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think either of these from Paul Stuart are perfect for casual/dressy or to wear with jeans (but not a suit unless it was corduroy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads