• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having an Accurate Exterior Matters to You?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably most of you would automatically say "No" or "Not much," but what if - see the poll question.

If you like dangerous questions, you could ask your significant other what she (or he) thought of you when you first met? Further food for thought: maybe people usually don't change much over the life course, but rather learn to present themselves, and judge others, more accurately.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four answers, all "No," despite the anonymity. Asking men to volunteer that they feel emotional hurt or care what others think is like this
baldy[1].gif
And yet people on forums like this complain that others dress like they don't care. If your co-workers in a job that matters to you intuited from your style that you are a "prick," that wouldn't bother you?

strazzaque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Four answers, all "No," despite the anonymity. Asking men to volunteer that they feel emotional hurt or care what others think is like this
baldy[1].gif

I voted, but I feel neither emotional hurt not care how others perceive my style.

And yet people on forums like this complain that others dress like they don't care.
I care about how I look, without bothering to complain about others. In fact, when I see something I would not have thought would work, successfully pulled off by another, it makes me wonder if I might try my hand at it. (On my lower budget, of course.)

If your co-workers in a job that matters to you intuited from your style that you are a "prick," that wouldn't bother you?
It would bother me a lot more to be working in an environment where you are deemed a prick by your sense of style.

I'm focusing on appearances, and not attitude, of course.
(I'd react differently if people thought I had a bad attitude and personality.)

If work mattered to me that much, as does my own sense of style, those colleagues had better get used to the "prick," or leave.
musicboohoo[1].gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Often, when people do not respond to a poll, it is because the poll is either uninteresting, poorly designed, or both. This poll is, at very least, not well designed. For example, I didn't vote because I would be upset if someone perceived me to be a yuppie I-banker (whether it was a positive or negative reaction would be irrelevant) but not at all upset if some yuppie I-banking type had a negative reaction towards me because he perceived me to be some younger punk. In fact, undercertain circumstances, I'd probably be happy to be negatively perceived.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
"The logic of worldly success rests on a fallacy: the strange error that our perfection depends on the thoughts and opinions and applause of other men! A weird life it is, indeed, to be living always in somebody else's imagination, as if that were the only place in which one could at last become real!"

Thomas Merton

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
....... If your co-workers in a job that matters to you intuited from your style that you are a "prick," that wouldn't bother you?

No, after my daughters, there is a small group of people that really mattter to me.
If one of them said it, I would be hurt, people at work? Strangers? Who cares. If they take the time to get know me, they will know better, if not, no loss.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not designed very well, true, and many other topics as competition. "Prick" isn't a good example, for while it might be a common negative perception of someone dressed in tailored attire, the kind of person who dresses that way and the kind of person who would use that term are virtually natural enemies. What would be an example of an insultingly inaccurate term, Fok's yuppie hypothetical? Anyway, thanks for the growing number of responses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads