• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a Winter Coat Made -- Question About the Lining, Please....

uluvbs

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm having a winter coat made of a lightweight cashmere/wool fabric.

I have about a yard of leftover fabric, and I was thinking about asking the tailor to line just the back of the coat with the extra fabric (and having the rest of the coat lined in Cupro).

Is this a bad idea?

I have nothing else to do with the extra fabric, and I would prefer the coat to be as warm as possible.

Thanks.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll make it a bit less easy to slip into while getting on, plus I don't see how lining the back (vs. front) really will make you much warmer. I'd recommend against it, and save the extra fabric for if part of the coat gets damaged in the future.

How about not using lightweight fabric if you want a warm coat in the first place? Seems the best way to have approached it.

uluvbs

Reaction score
There is 5 inches of facing on each side of the front opening already, but I probably have enough fabric to line the front (in addition to the back).

Lining the entire back in an extra layer of fabric would make the back of the coat twice as warm, no?

uluvbs

Reaction score
80 views and 2 replies?

frown.gif
frown.gif

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't this make it hard to slide into the coat? You could have a quilted lining used to bring extra warmth. Actually my back always gets cold in winter, so this would make some sense.

Perhaps use the extra fabric to make a matching hat or a casual waistcoat?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1 on the quilted lining and maybe a waistcoat or a hat?

Have you thought about saving the lightweight cashmere for something else and doing a heavyweight <15 oz coat? It's quite a joy to have something heavy in the winter.

uluvbs

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand how it would be more difficult to slide into the coat.

I would still have the armholes and the sleeves lined with Cupro -- would lining just the back in wool make the coat more difficult to slide into?

Thanks.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs
I'm not sure I understand how it would be more difficult to slide into the coat.

I would still have the armholes and the sleeves lined with Cupro -- would lining just the back in wool make the coat more difficult to slide into?

Thanks.

It just seems like if you were wearing anything nubby or that catches easily it wouldn't slide in as easily and might add a tiny bit of bulk. I suppose if it isn't super tight it should be okay.

mikeber

Reaction score
Just keep the extra fabric.
May I ask who is your tailor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads