• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a tux custom tailored?

khayes

Reaction score
I am getting married at the end of June and have not been happy with the tuxedos that I have tried on in my price range. I am thinking about looking into having one custom tailored.

1. Does anyone have any idea how long this takes?
2. Can anyone recommend someone?
3. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being dumb but I can't see a price range anywhere in his post?

Grenadier

Reaction score
He's posted ~6 threads here in the past day or so asking questions about where to find a RLPL tux he likes for "a lot less."

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not order from an online MTM service for your wedding. If you want to get MTM for such an important occasion I would suggest going somewhere that can measure you in person and possibly do some alterations afterwards if the fit is not quite right.

khayes

Reaction score
I would like to stay under $1,200 and closer to $1,000 if this is at all possible.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you not find the style you want or a proper fitting tux?

bkdasher

Reaction score
I also had a good experience buying a tux OTR and then having it tailored at Bhambi's (also in NYC). Of course it wasn't for my wedding but has served me well on many occasions. They also do MTM but I'm not sure of the pricing.

v0rtex

Reaction score
I got a Thick as Thieves tux and was very happy with it. Midnight blue, unlined, peak lapels. Certainly nicer than anything I could find OTR in that price range.

khayes

Reaction score
any others? They are booked for the next couple months. I'm in LA. Thank you.

Decaffeinated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
I got a Thick as Thieves tux and was very happy with it. Midnight blue, unlined, peak lapels. Certainly nicer than anything I could find OTR in that price range.

You're not going to find true RLBL quality/styling for the discount that you're seeking. Just contact Jason @ Thick as Thieves & tell him what you're looking for -- closest you'll get.

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by khayes
any others? They are booked for the next couple months. I'm in LA. Thank you.

Contact Joe Hemrajani at Hemrajani Bros/mytailor.com in Costa Mesa.
See him personally and have him do the measurements. He will be
in your price range and will copy any style you want. Not sure about
delivery time so YMMV.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Contact Joe Hemrajani at Hemrajani Bros/mytailor.com in Costa Mesa. See him personally and have him do the measurements. He will be in your price range and will copy any style you want. Not sure about delivery time so YMMV.
Longtime Hemrajani customer here (mainly shirts and odd trousers, with the occasional jacket), and I can tell you right now that there's no way he will turn around a tux in a month and a half. Takes about two to three months, on average, to get a pair of shirts -- and I've already got my measurements and pattern on file. Would highly recommend that the OP seek out a nice OTR tux on discount and have it altered to near-perfection, unless his body type is so unusual as to absolutely necessitate MTM of some stripe. Given his timing, he'd be leaving a lot up to chance with an MTM order. Especially if he's never gone that route before. Too much risk, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads