1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Having a suit made in India?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SansNom, Dec 10, 2008.

1. forex

forex Senior member

We need someone good at Footoshop to blow the image up to PS size and smoothe it out. Big stumbling block... Any volunteers?

[​IMG]

2. siddhant

siddhant New Member

To throw a new city into the mix - one can try Barkat Ali in Kolkata. There are two shops with that name one is behind the Oberoi hotel is the place I would suggest. The other one is on Park St. Barkat Ali has a wide variety of material at several price points. Their default is to make a fused jacket but if you ask, they will do a fully-canvassed jacket as well. The cut and fit is excellent. However you might need to be a little nit-picky about the finish. The owner and his sons are always in the shop and are very obliging so make sure that you take delivery only when you are fully satisfied.

3. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I thought the whole reason there were good tailors in Hong Kong was because of the long British rule... so I'd assume India would have the same sort of thing going on? (i.e. tailors who trained in London or are aware enough to know how to copy specific Savile Row styles)??

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ It might have to with the fact that the British exited India in 1947 while they ruled HK till 1997

5. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I'd suggest anyone thinking of using Kachin's do a search and read reviews by members who have actually had experience with them. I'd suggest IndianBoyz place more faith in personal experience than in hearsay/magazine writeups/wherever the hell else he gets the material he regurgitates.

I suggest you STFU. My cousin went there and brought back some lovely spread collar shirts.

6. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

take a look at those prices.
    no wonder its getting harder to find tailors in the U.S.
    when all the customers go overseas, there will be no business for tailors here.
    all that will be left is the dry cleaners.

your friendly optimist

7. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

I live in India and have never bought a suit in India..RTW or otherwise..until I was coerced into it recently.
    Went to a highly "reputed" bespoke tailor in Bombay and bought some really nice Zegna charcoal chalk stripe Super 150's fabric...they gave me at least 5 fittings, if I remember and they completely DESTROYED the fit!! They just cannot get the details or the fit correct!
    My Italian RTW's fit a 100 times better!
    Never again!

8. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

I am from India(I live in the US now) and would like to chime in here. Most Indians wear a suit maybe once in their whole lives - for their wedding reception. There is no suit wearing culture in India, unlike in the West. So, there are few Indian tailors who can make a quality suit that is of acceptable quality in StyleForum.
    Regarding shirts - Century cotton and Arvind Mills produce high quality cotton shirting material. In India, readymade(or RTW) shirts are better made and subject to higher quality control in factories that produce clothes for export. With a local tailor, the quality of stitching is a hit or miss.
    Prompt delivery and timeliness is rare. If you are short on time this can cause you a lot of stress.

1 person likes this.
  9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Most americans wear a suit once in their lives, too.

There are several million indians who do wear suits ona daily basis, though.

I am from India(I live in the US now) and would like to chime in here. Most Indians wear a suit maybe once in their whole lives - for their wedding reception. There is no suit wearing culture in India, unlike in the West. So, there are few Indian tailors who can make a quality suit that is of acceptable quality in StyleForum.
    Regarding shirts - Century cotton and Arvind Mills produce high quality cotton shirting material. In India, readymade(or RTW) shirts are better made and subject to higher quality control in factories that produce clothes for export. With a local tailor, the quality of stitching is a hit or miss.
    Prompt delivery and timeliness is rare. If you are short on time this can cause you a lot of stress.

10. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I had one sport coat made by Vaish when I visited India. As we were spending the beginning and ending of our trip in Delhi, it allowed for multiple fittings. It was just a one off, fun thing since I was over there and curious. It was inexpensive, and the final result was far from terrible, but nothing to write home about. I'll wear the coat from time to time, and it's a nice reminder of my trip.

I wouldn't go to Vaish expecting to find a great tailor, but they were exceedingly accommodating to my limited schedule, were much more detailed than the cheap tailors I've encountered in Hong Kong and Vietnam, and were generally very friendly.

I brought my own fabric, but they carry H&S among a few other decent books. They seem to make for a lot of expats in Delhi. They showed me a vicuna coat that they were making, so they must have a few clients with considerable means.

11. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

http://www.zeenews.com/news433200.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/1002889.cms

12. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

Barkhat Ali in Calcutta is in fact a fantastic tailor. Don't expect much in terms of a store front, but they have excellent tailors and high attention to detail. I use them, but they are too busy during the wedding season (November through Jan) to really work on materials that you don't buy from them. Have instead started going more to Stile on Lindsey street .

13. tajhaslani

tajhaslani Member

How much did VAISH charge for 2 piece suit making charges only?

14. Andy Biswas

Andy Biswas New Member

Bought 3 suites made from Burkat Ali in Kolkata last year . Bought some Italian and English suiting Fabric from from them. The cost of the Fabric is INR 36,000 for each suite (over priced)and stiching cost is INR 7000 for each suite
    I had asked for at least for half canvassed but what I got back is half canvassed with very heavy padding and cheap fusing material that does not stand to dry cleaning .
    The cut is pretty good but the suites are fused with heavy padding . Fused suites, heavy padding, cheap lining and cheap buttons. After Dry cleaning done at very high end dry cleaner in the US, the padding started bulking up and the structure is completely destroyed .Heavy padding and heavy fusing material really shows and does not do justice to nice cut. They old me full canvas would cost around $ 300 they can do it only in summer months when the work load is low.
    I am very happy that they were able to make and deliver 3 suites in 3 weeks but at this point this was a complete waste of money Total cost for around INR 45,000 it is still a pretty expensive option considering that I go to suite supply http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/home and get a better Fabric, semi custom for similar price and the suites are at least half canvassed and can be dry cleaned

If you looking for a good quality suites at reasonable price in the US you are better getting off ready made or made to order ones like suite supply

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016