• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a portrait done.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would pay somebody to beat the idea out of me.

For full disclosure, somebody had a portrait done of me when I was a child (6 or 7) in full English riding gear as a present for my parents. I don't think my wife has stopped laughing at me since the first time she saw it.

I speak from experience. Having a portrait painted is a possible cock block for life and should be avoided at all costs.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first choice -painted, if you can find someone to do a good job.

second choice, photography, same reasons.

in both cases avoid the bland photo studio portrait!!
and don't try to get one of those phtos with the faux paint texture.

but a good original portrait is quite a cool thing if done right.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of luminary are you?

I would charge out the ass for my services. But then again, I do not paint portraits.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I can see getting a portrait of your wife, but getting one of yourself? If you want to admire yourself buy a mirror, they are cheaper.

If I were you Iamatt, I would treasure that painting. I wouldnt put it in a common area of your house but maybe in the room you use for an office.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vampires are often obsessed with portraiture as they do not cast a reflection.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine did this for me, on his computer. I have three dimensional portraits, too. They're even scarier than this one.
chandelier.gif

portrait_of_michael.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have an exquisitely drawn portrait of my grandfather hanging in my bedroom. he wears a double-breasted, suit, holds a cigarette in one hand (chainsmoker), his other hand in pocket, and has a pencil tip moustache that very few men can pull off. he reminds me a bit of vincent price, but manlier.

it was made by a friend of my uncle, and he worked from a photograph taken in the '60s.

drawn or painted portraiture may be a dying art to some, but I'm very fond of my grandfather's likeness, and i hope that my descendents will one day appreciate having a portrait of their great-great-grandfather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads