• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a new web site built, Please HELP

Darren Beaman

Reaction score
Why chose Darren Beaman Darren Beaman has worked for some of the most respected Tailors in Savile Row. Unlike most of the Companies in savile row, Darren does not pay extortionate rent and rates. By meeting and servicing all his customers needs at Scabal 12 savile row (one of the worlds most famous cloth merchants). Without compromising either his excellent reputation or his work, Darren can offer a less expensive alternative to some of the other houses in savile row. Darren's belief is, that as a small company you receive a more personal and friendly service with starting prices from £1500.00 + vat for a full bespoke suit. Darren exclusively oversees all garments to ensure the very highest of standards. RJman what would you write ?
biggrin.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dammit, man, so tempted to quote my (entirely undeserved) billable... "RJman what would you write ?
biggrin.gif
" Gimme a few minutes.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why chose Darren Beaman

Darren Beaman has worked for some of the most respected Tailors in Savile Row.
Unlike most of the Companies in savile row, Darren does not pay extortionate rent and rates. By meeting and servicing all his customers needs at Scabal 12 savile row (one of the worlds most famous cloth merchants).

Without compromising either his excellent reputation or his work, Darren can offer a less expensive alternative to some of the other houses in savile row.

Darren's belief is, that as a small company you receive a more personal and friendly service with starting prices from £1500.00 + vat for a full bespoke suit.

Darren exclusively oversees all garments to ensure the very highest of standards.
Good attempt Darren, however this does not want to make me buy one of your garments. I don't think it will make anyone choose you over A&S, or even the lower priced bespoke tailors. Everyone brags that they put in the most handwork, use the best fabrics, more value for $ for one reason or another.

RJMan is onto something when he writes:
You could rather have a section on "Who is a Darren Beaman Client?" and say that there is no typical DB client, encompassing as it does junior executives in pursuit of quality and top lawyers and businessmen, captains of industry, writers and politicans, and most tellingly, the some of the best of the bespoke trade -- those in the know [I'm thinking of your NYC shindig colleagues and at least one genius shoemaker] -- all brought together in pursuit of the best quality and the best value.

In other words, sell a dream or an aspiration. With your prices, you have positioned yourself accesable to people who are ready to take thier first step in bespoke clothing. Talk about the romance of the product; who wears it, and where it is worn. This is something that Gucci, Hermes, and Ralph Lauren have been doing for years. I think it has made them a tad bit of money.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Darren:

Here's my draft copy. Flame away, everyone.

Why choose a Darren Beaman suit?

The reasons for choosing a bespoke suit are easy: Perfect fit. Personalized detail. The confidence that arises from a garment of quality of construction and material. Why go to Darren Beaman for the bespoke experience?

After gaining his experience working at some of the most respected tailors in Savile Row, Darren Beaman has established himself on a scale where he can give the personal contact and attentive service traditionally offered by the best London gentleman's custom tailors and shirtmakers. Whether by appointment in Savile Row premises or on one of his regular overseas visits, a meeting with Darren promises the expertise of his 24 years of tailoring experience with an approachable and personable contact.

In recent years bespoke tailoring and Savile Row have revitalized their image and reasserted their relevance. Darren is able to offer customers the best of the old and the new. As a tailor and not a salesman, he gives potential customers informed answers about what cut, fabric and style suits them best. As a tailor, he personally supervises all garments ordered from him to ensure the very highest of standards, assuring his customers transparency in ordering. As Darren offers exclusively bespoke garments, his prices are not elevated to subsidize expensive ready-to-wear branding operations or publicity blitzes. Darren's tailoring, positive word of mouth from satisfied customers and his generous tailoring advice on Ask Andy [link] and styleforum [link] have led to a flourishing global clientele.

Darren Beaman will tailor you a suit in the best traditions of Savile Row: hand cut and handmade, fully bespoke with an individual paper pattern, working buttonholes, and the finest cloths from Britain and Italy -- all standard. While Darren's attention to detail is traditional, his house style combines the softness of modern garments and an updated silhouette with timeless quality. In addition, his unique history, youth and versatility allow him to offer garments to a customer's most exact specifications or whimsy - from classic Savile Row structured to an exact replica of a 1900 greatcoat in luxurious cashmere [or whatever it was - include picture if owner permits].

Darren offers impeccable tailoring at an extremely competitive price among the hallowed houses of Savile Row. Starting at 1500 pounds sterling (plus VAT). While quality may not be cheap Darren would like to offer the modern, global customer the most accessible price possible without compromising his standards or his customers' expectations.

All of this copy, of course, cannot compare to an actual contact with Darren himself. We encourage you to call, email or visit Darren, whether a habituÃ
00a9.png
of bespoke tailoring or considering a custom garment for the first time. We promise you a receptive and sympathetic welcome.

Who chooses Darren Beaman?

No one is average. Who wants to be average? There is no average Darren Beaman customer. International businessmen and junior executives have both come to Darren for their fortieth or their first bespoke suits. We give the same attention and welcome to both of them. Darren's tape has measured the inside leg of writers, politicians, tycoons and the odd - and discretely unnamed [ahem, Darren....] Hollywood celebrity. However, most telling are the other bespoke makers who have trusted Darren with their custom, from traditional St. James' bootmakers to the best American shirtmakers. All of these men and women have in common the desire for quality, the will to have their unique demands fulfilled, and faith in Darren's knowledge and training. We are, of course, proudest of our repeat customers. Hope to see you again...

copyright R.J. Man enterprises 2005

PS:
Also Darren, there is something called "The Companions of Savile Row". This is some sort of organization to which tailors not completely based on Savile Row may belong and which asserts that you offer the quality and service of a Savile Row firm. Benson and Clegg in the Piccadilly Arcade apparently belongs. You might want to look into that and how to become a member.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn RJMan,

You're Rick James, *****. That's really good for a draft, especially if you only spent a few minutes on it.  

Darren should utilize either RJMan, manton, or grayson to help him write something for the website in exchange for a discount on their next suit. Everybody wins, and DB gets another sale.

I don't think anybody is saying that DB's website should blow people away, but look at Mahon's site. Its not too posh either, but it's quite effective. You give Mahon a run for his money in terms of writing, even though you two are trying to accomplish two different things.

And, I understand what you're saying about Whitcomb and Shaftesbury, but you can't deny that it did a good job when they went into convincing details about their work. It talked about the hours went into the creation of a suit, how special the thread was, the number of handmade stiches, etc... I think its important that DB addresses these issues as well. Although, I don't like how you had to scroll down to read their words.

If Darren ends up using RJMan's script, its also important that he uses the pictures to reinforce them. When RJMan describes DB as a personable guy, it isn't consistent with the picture of an unsmiling DB. And, DB should then use different pictures of the different target groups RJMan mentioned- a picture of a young exec, older gentleman, etc.. I'd also have some of the pictures in black and white and in an distinctly english setting, like what Ralph Lauren does. Considering how important the pictures are to DB's message, I think he needs to use a professional photographer.

I think that it is important that DB's site be better than it's present incarnation. He probably gets a lot of enquiries from internet savy men who've heard about him from sites like this. If he didn't, then I don't think DB would need to worry about it.

misterbowles

Reaction score
RJMan, here's a rough edit of your excellent copy. I couldn't resist; it is my trade, after all. I hope you don't mind.

- jpb

Why bespoke?
The reasons are simple: perfect fit, personalized detail, and the confidence resulting from wearing a garment that is a perfect marriage of quality, construction, and the client's unique shape and style.

Why Darren Beaman?
After gaining experience working with some of the most respected tailors on Savile Row, Darren has struck out on his own, building a business focused on the personal touch and conscientious service traditionally offered by only the best custom tailors and shirtmakers in London. Whether by appointment at 12 Savile Row or on one of his regular overseas visits, this personal meeting guarantees the client the benefits of Darren's 24 years of tailoring experience and his unique down-to-earth style.

In recent years, bespoke tailoring and Savile Row have revitalized their image and reasserted their relevance. Darren is able to offer the client a unique blend of tradition and forward thinking. He is a tailor, not a salesman, and gives all potential clients honest answers about what cut, fabric, and style will suit them best. He personally supervises all garments, assuring that the very highest standards are adhered to. As Darren exclusively creates bespoke garments, his prices are not elevated to subsidize expensive ready-to-wear branding operations or publicity blitzes. Darren's tailoring expertise, positive word of mouth from satisfied customers, and his high profile on Internet fora such as Ask Andy [link] and Style Forum [link] (where he is always available to answer any questions) have led to a flourishing global clientele.

Darren Beaman will tailor you a suit in the best tradition of Savile Row: fully bespoke, hand-cut and hand-sewn from an individual paper pattern, complete with working buttonholes, and always utilizing only the finest fabrics from Britain and Italy - all standard. While Darren's attention to detail is traditional, he is always open to new ideas, and combines the softness of modern garments and a contemporary silhouette with timeless craftsmanship. His unique combination of experience, youth, and versatility allows him to tailor garments to a client's most exact specifications or whimsy - from classic Savile Row construction to an exact replica of a 1903 greatcoat in luxurious cashmere [or whatever it was - include picture if owner permits].

Darren offers all of these services at an extremely competitive price compared to the hallowed houses of Savile Row (starting at £1500 + VAT), providing the modern, global customer the most reasonable price possible without compromising his standards or his clients' expectations.

We encourage you to call, email, or visit Darren, whether you are a habituÃ
00a9.png
of bespoke tailoring or are considering a custom garment for the first time. We promise you a warm welcome, and look forward to building a lifetime relationship.

Who chooses Darren Beaman?

No one is average, and who would want to be? There is no average Darren Beaman customer. International businessmen and junior executives alike come to Darren for their bespoke suits, whether it's their fortieth or their first. We give the same attention and welcome to all of our clients. Darren's tape has measured the inside leg of writers, politicians, tycoons, and the odd - and discretely unnamed [ahem, Darren....] - Hollywood celebrity. However, his highest endorsements come from the many other bespoke makers who have trusted Darren with their custom, from traditional St. James' bootmakers to the best American shirtmakers. All of these men and women have three things in common - the desire for quality, the will to have their unique demands fulfilled, and faith in Darren's knowledge and training. We are, of course, proudest of our repeat customers. Hope to see you again...

copyright R.J. Man enterprises 2005
(tweaks provided by No Training Wheels, Inc.)

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darren,

I'd make sure you first know what you're trying to do and whom you're trying to target with this website before you hire somebody to help you design it. Otherwise, the message will get muddled. And, ask to see their portfolio before hiring them. It seems like you have several choices of people willing to help you for a discount on the price of a suit.

Somebody mentioned using pictures comparing a model wearing MTM vs. bespoke. I just wonder if the differences would even be noticeable in a photograph. At the very least, you'd have to use much bigger photograph, with better detail.
Quite frankly, I've never quite believed that bespoke suit was that much better in terms of drape and would need undisputable evidence to prove it.

Even then, I'd wonder if it the pictures were somehow manipulated, similar to what Flusser did in his book. Somebody could easily manipulate the fit by having a model wear a suit was a size too large or too small.

But, if you were to do it, I'd have fun with it:

Make it a before and after picture.

Or, you could make it a quiz where the reader decides between two photos, which suit is better. Once, they select their anwer, you reveal which one was bespoke and what features made it look better.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Damn RJMan,

You're Rick James, *****. That's really good for a draft, especially if you only spent a few minutes on it.  
Esquire:

All is forgiven.

TTTT, I spent a while in between doing various other loungey lazy screwy things on Sunday.

newtopos

Reaction score
All of these men and women have one thing in common - the desire for quality, the will to have their unique demands fulfilled, and faith in Darren's knowledge and training.
Excellent edit.  My main concern was the above line.  These men and women have one thing in common, but three are listed.

Other quibbles: combination . . . allows; fora (while correct, it's likely to be understood mostly by attorneys); habituÃ
00a9.png
(didn't strike me as the best word).  

Okay, back to real work for me.  Good luck with the site (and thanks to all the knowledgeable posters here -- I mostly lurk, but I appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this forum).

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RJMan,

That was still well written. You've got the gift. Too bad its wasted in the legal profession, where the whole point is to make everything incomprehensible to anybody outside the profession.

You must spend a lot of time checking out other tailor sites. Its strange but I couldn't find some of the sites you mentioned. From the non existence of some of other firm's website, I'm assuming there's a certain amount of prejudice in
establishing a internet presence among some of saville row's firms. However, like I said, I think this would be a mistake for DB since he relies so heavily on the internet to promote himself.

Have you looked at Mahon's site as well? Do you think it would be a mistake if DB tried to emulate his style, or went for the more formal style you wrote.

misterbowles

Reaction score
(misterbowles @ Mar. 28 2005,22:06) All of these men and women have one thing in common - the desire for quality, the will to have their unique demands fulfilled, and faith in Darren's knowledge and training.
Excellent edit. Â My main concern was the above line. Â These men and women have one thing in common, but three are listed. Other quibbles: combination . . . allows; fora (while correct, it's likely to be understood mostly by attorneys); habituÃ
00a9.png
(didn't strike me as the best word). Â Okay, back to real work for me. Â Good luck with the site (and thanks to all the knowledgeable posters here -- I mostly lurk, but I appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this forum).
Good eye.

Darren Beaman

Reaction score
you all been such a GREAT help the ber on me ( well RJman can pay)

i think i no what i looking for now

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics