• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAVERSACK AT PITTI UOMO 85

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
HAVERSACK AT PITTI UOMO 85: 'TIS A FAR BETTER THING

Words and pictures by Jasper L

It took some real bravery to enter the Haversack booth. It was swamped with buyers for most of Pitti, and even when it wasn’t, gathering the courage to approach Ian - the brand representative who exemplified both the heroism of an aging, short-haired Sidney Carton and the vague menace of an underground boxing promoter - and tell him I didn’t know anything about his company required a bit of doing. I had to make several nonchalant circles around the booth and mumble a few recitations of the Litany against Fear before I was sufficiently galvanized.

I must not fear,” I tell myself, walking up to him and smiling. Camera? Check. Business card? Check. Sweaty handshake? Likely.

The clothes hit kind of a sweet spot between Paul Harnden, Yohji Yamamoto, and Oliver Spencer. They’re pleasantly anachronistic in a manner that suggests early-1900’s poverty and, simultaneously, luxury that Fitzgerald’s ill-fated protagonists might dream of while on safari. It’s all wrangled together under an umbrella of cuts that reference militaria and the romance of your favorite vanished explorers. It’s not just the cut that attracts the eye: the patterns and colors are at once loud, subtle, and very, very beautiful. It’s all finished to an exacting standard, and construction is top-notch.

Designer Koji Norihide appears to have something of an obsession with outerwear, since most of what he’s brought to Pitti comes in the form of exquisitely-tailored jackets – which Ian walks me through as Mr. Norihide busies himself with coffee and a newspaper. This works for me, because I’m happy to indulge my own obsession with outerwear and let him ignore us. He looks, if possible, even cooler than Ian does. The standouts, in my mind, are a grey peak-lapel jacket with an exploded windowpane pattern, a blazer with embroidered paisley details, and a high-collared deck jacket that fulfills just about every down-on-his-luck-spacefaring-mariner fantasy I’ve ever had.

It’s fitting that Ian’s grizzled voice has a gravitas that would make Russel Crowe blush, and when I asked him to tell me a little bit about Haversack, he delivers his response in a rousing, two-minute monologue that manages to be friendly, informative and slightly belligerent:

“They make Modern-day garments in a very old, classic style. What they’re making is as-is 1940’s, 1950’s. Right? But they vamp it up with various fabrics. 90% Japanese made. We only have two items which are made in Germany. We have two collections, two stylings; these are the blousons, the easy pants, the knitwear, etcetera etcetera. And the other one over there, it’s more of a formal, semi-formal type. This time around – ‘Ello,” he pauses, staring down a buyer. “This time around, the knitwear – we don’t have much. It’s more of the jackets and coats in both collections. Style-wise, the main thing is ‘light, durable, and easy to wear.’ Price? Not cheap. Because they’re all made in Japan, fabrics are all specially-made – so you won’t see the same fabrics in any other collection. Am I speaking too much?

Fear is the mind killer, I think. “No, no. I Love it.”

“That’s about it. It’s a very difficult to summarize this collection, it really is. They’re all handmade. No machine use at all.”

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. “None at all?”

“None at all. None at all. What else you got?”

“Nothing, that was perfect.”

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks a great collection. Thanks for the write up.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh that grey peak lapel windowpane jacket is everything. Excellent write-up, as always.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the write up, and are those quilted trousers? I only have two haversack pieces because yeah it's not cheap... Actually I guess three - I screwed up the sizing on yjp and bought a haversack field jacket for my fiancé instead of for myself.

coolron

Reaction score
Those quilted trousers and that biker/peacoat hybrid are so good.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't understand "no machine at all." He's not really saying they don't use sewing machines?

Apparently? It seems impossible, but I didn't clarify beyond what you read there (which is verbatim from my recording). If anyone knows more about the brand and wants to chime in, feel free - I'll reach out via email as well.

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
Just an update -

I just got in touch with a Japanese stockist.

He can get me the amazing green quilted pants --- but, and it's a big but - the pants are cropped (they're like short-pants for a 10 year old).

So - if anyone wants the info on how to get them - I'll be happy to pass it on, and you can order this week (Friday is the deadline).

I'm not going to buy them [for obvious reasons]...I had visions of rugged hunting trousers dancing in my head.

Disappointment...

Last edited:

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
LelandJ -

PM me --- I will give you the contact info.

I think they can get anything from the AW14 collection.

Best

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads