• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have your feet grown?

shoeme

Reaction score
I used to be a solid 9.5 D. Now, 10 years later, I consistently wear 10 D. My most recent 3 purchases (last 2 weeks) have been 10.5 D. I know there is variability between different brands, but ceteris paribus, is it common to have your feet change in size in your 30s?
confused.gif

Taxler

Reaction score
Feet can flatten and spread out as you get older. Try adding arch support to reverse the trend.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoeme
I used to be a solid 9.5 D. Now, 10 years later, I consistently wear 10 D. My most recent 3 purchases (last 2 weeks) have been 10.5 D. I know there is variability between different brands, but ceteris paribus, is it common to have your feet change in size in your 30s?
confused.gif

My feet are "growing" at an alarming pace. I'd call it a growth spurt except I'm 31.

In 2006, I wore size 12 in running shoes, in 2007 I went up to 12 and a half. Now I'm a 13. And I wear othrotic insoles to correct my flat feet. This is a problem.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went up a half size in my early thirties largely through weight gain.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had posted about this a while back in the body consciousness forum. My feet have gotten larger. In my case, according to a few books I grabbed about the subject, it seems to be normal for people that do a lot of walking/running based sports. Since I'm a climber, I carry huge backpacks full of gear quite a bit as training, as well as run. This has probably caused my feet to sprawl out a bit more.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I had posted about this a while back in the body consciousness forum. My feet have gotten larger. In my case, according to a few books I grabbed about the subject, it seems to be normal for people that do a lot of walking/running based sports. Since I'm a climber, I carry huge backpacks full of gear quite a bit as training, as well as run. This has probably caused my feet to sprawl out a bit more.

Has this foot sprawl cost you a fortune in mountain boots? I have a pair of hiking boots from 8 years ago that are now like, 2 full sizes too small. Strangely, I can still fit into all but my oldest dress shoes. The C&J 337 is pretty long-toed.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel my feet have shrunk half a size since I'm dropping weight. All my shoes are 13's, and I have to put 2 pair of neoprene inserts and the lacing still pulls till both sides touch. But 12.5's are the hardest size to find.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Has this foot sprawl cost you a fortune in mountain boots? I have a pair of hiking boots from 8 years ago that are now like, 2 full sizes too small. Strangely, I can still fit into all but my oldest dress shoes. The C&J 337 is pretty long-toed.

Yep. I replaced my old pair of LaSportiva boots with a new pair of Scarpas. Both of these were 300+ dollar boots. None of the Sportivas are wide enough for me anymore, and a runner's rub doesn't open them up enough either. I had to switch to the Scarpas. I got them a bit larger because I expect my feet to swell at altitude.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shoe size increased from a 13B or C, which it had been since I was 15, to a 13D when I was in my mid-40s. I had been doing a tremendous amount of running and hiking in the previous decade, and I presume that was the cause. I once lost over 50 pounds--dropped my weight from 230+ to 176 at the lightest. I never noticed that it affected the fit of my boots and shoes.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've gone up a full size, 8 to a 9. Some 9's are feeling snug.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped 30lbs and my feet shrunk about a half a size

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads