Have you sent food back to the kitchen?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by changy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Interested in knowing what would cause you to mess with it and what was actually done...

2. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I usually use the techniques described by Pio and TC (nice to see you here). In general, I've sent back things I consider thoroughly ruined and/or inedible. Most recently, I sent a mussel stew back to the kitchen because it smelled off. They sent me a different dish at no extra charge.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

"all of my years" like you're fucking Yoda or something

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I was a busboy. Refilled this douchebag and his date's drinks and begin walking away. Guy waves a ten dollar bill at me and asks me to talk to him a second. As if I require ten dollars to talk to people. I turn to face him. He puts his money away, saying, as he does, "Knew that would get your attention." He then asks me what I want to be when I grow up. I say an attorney. He smirks and says, "no, really". I say, "No, I've always wanted to be an attorney." He asks if he's accurate in noticing I stutter. I say that he is. He then proceeds to imitate what a stutterer in the courtroom would be like. His date looks mortified. A waitress comes over and tells me to go get her some silverware for the next table (I didn't realize what she was actually doing was getting me away from the table). After some ensuing discussion amongst the waitress, cook, and myself, I decided to dilute the melted butter for his lobster with a similar looking liquid. He tasted it and asked for a new serving of butter because his current butter was "rancid". I gave him some undiluted butter.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  5. Nil

Nil Senior member

I applaud you for not diluting his face with your fist.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I once sent a waiter back to the kitchen with two broken legs because he spoke to me as if I were some commoner. No, I do not want to discuss with you the latest NASCAR "event" or whatever they call it.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

A few times. When they've gotten my order wrong or when the food needs to be warmed up. I forget where I was and the food I ordered was very cold. I was so taken aback I thought it was supposed to be like that for a second but then had them reheat it. Thank fully I haven't had to do this much. Anyway when I send things back I always tell the reason why politely. If they take care of it well I tip them normally.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Extremely rarely. Maybe once or twice in my life. Mainly for the reason idfl mentioned. It's just really disruptive to the flow of dinner for everybody else.

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Wow, that's fucking insane. I guess I don't picture real people acting like this--just caricatures in movies. But maybe this is because I've never worked in a restaurant/bar setting.

I can't remember if I've ever sent a dish back.

10. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

2, maybe 3 times tops. Every time was because it was over-salted to the point of being inedible, it's the one thing I refuse to eat.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I'm pretty sure I know only one person who acts that way in real life, and I haven't spoken to him in a decade. Shit, maybe three, all family members, all banished from my life for at least ten years.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow, kinda regret asking :crazy:

13. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

I don't like to see food wasted but I do feel like they should know if they made a mistake.

14. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

The irony is I think he thought he was impressing his date, but she looked horrified. And this restaurant was really not a good "date" restaurant. It's price point was around TGIF's, but with even worse food. He was the worst I ever dealt with, but I only worked there for a year.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

On behalf of the human race I would like to apologize to you FLMM.