• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you lost weight FOR fashion?

fain

Reaction score
It's weird. I'm in my mid-20's and have been slightly overweight for as far back as my teen years.

I couldn't have been fucked to lose it then, as I was still happy, relatively confident, and decent with girls. I figured I could have my cake and eat it, too.

But the males in my family have serious heart issues later in life, and, well, now that I'm single, I think if I toned my body I could be landing some infinitely hotter chicks (pipedream)

You'd think both of those issues would be enough motivation, but they aren't.

I find myself about to start a "lifestyle change" (I'm not interested in diets, rather healthier eating, more physical activity, etc.) and I'm FAR more interested in finally being able to wear some dior pants that I've seen some men wear and look wonderful in. It now seems that my main ambition isn't to get laid, or to live until I'm 90... but to wear dior, and look good doing so. I never thought I'd say that. And I feel a bit gay for doing so. Lagerfeld-like, even. But whatever.

Any of you used fashion as motivation? And more importantly, did it work?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i went from a svelte size 30 waist from college and twenties to a fat tight 36, 38 waist after marriage.

but then i got sick of the weight and wanted to wear fashionable streetwear again, like back before i was married so i dropped a whole lot of weight to get back down to 31 waist. and bought a whole lot of japanese denim and some other stuff.

now i am back up to a tight 34 and 36 waist and i'll be dropping it again in time for spring hopefully.

my point is, now that i have alot of expensive clothing i invested in sitting in my closet,
it is mandatory i lose my weight so i can go back into them again.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20 pounds for fighting and clothing. Went from a size 34 waist to 30.5 I became chubby again, so now there's about 10 pounds to lose.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Then I realized that I wasn't so in to super-skinny fashion forward stuff and that having some more muscle might actually look good with some of the clothes I like.

Maybe I'll start working out soon...

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but at some point I will.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i feel a bit too big and bulky at 235 noiw and will try and slim down to 220. would like to go from a 35 to a 33 in waist.

Dion

Reaction score
I'm 31 gonna go down to 30 when I start workin out again.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't really expect these responses...

I don't pick up muscle or change much because the clothes won't fit anymore, but in my mind its more of a lost investment. But I guess there is a fashion component in there somewhere, keeping me at my current weight.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after reading these posts, if you lose the weight, is it that easy to get it all back again?

Eversio

Reaction score
I'm definately losing weight for fashion. Joined the gym and started reading up on a balanced diet, although its pretty much common sense i tend to take things over seriously!
It's really one of my top reasons for wanting to lose weight.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting question. For me, it was more about getting healthier over the past year and needing to lose about 10 lbs (not quite there yet). The benefit of this was being able to fit into some clothes I hadn't worn in a while, and also getting Chan to take in my suit trousers by an inch recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads