• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever seen surgeon's cuffs like this???

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
So a friend of mine just picked up a bunch of suits from the tailor, and she had an older suit of hers fixed. She now noticed that the buttons on the sleeves, which are functional, are buttoning in-ward and she really believes they were not like that to start (though she admits she could be wrong). Has anyone ever seen this on any suit jacket, men's or women's? I've attached some some pics for your reference. (notice how when the buttons are closed it sort of looks like there were button holes there at one point) Oh, also, its worth noting that on this jacket she had ONE sleeve shortened but very minimally. I just cant imagine why the tailor would go through the trouble of swapping the buttons around?!?
eh.gif
Thanks for any input, Carmine

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could that be some kind of turnback cuff for a jacket?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen that on a men's suit, dunno about womens though. Seems like it would be incredibly awkward to attempt to button or unbutton them while wearing it...
confused.gif
The second picture does look like the original fake buttonholes on the outside, which this 'tailor' has not even gone to the trouble of removing?
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
If it was supposed to be turned back it would need a much longer facing at the end. As it is the lining will show on the outside if you turn it back far enough to see even the first button on the outside. I can't imagine that would be intended.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

I was wondering the same thing! Very interesting to me

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Never seen that on a men's suit, dunno about womens though. Seems like it would be incredibly awkward to attempt to button or unbutton them while wearing it...
confused.gif

The second picture does look like the original fake buttonholes on the outside, which this 'tailor' has not even gone to the trouble of removing?

If it was supposed to be turned back it would need a much longer facing at the end. As it is the lining will show on the outside if you turn it back far enough to see even the first button on the outside. I can't imagine that would be intended.

yea that second picture is what is really throwing me for a loop. also, great point/observation about the inner-lining, you are right there is no way a fold-back could have been intended with that set up.

JohnnyO12

Reaction score
strange indeed. maybe the tailor was drunk that day.
cheers.gif

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
No Sir. No, I have not. It's a strange world, and sometimes the clothes found in it are even stranger.

EZ

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They must have been like this to start with, a tailor wouldnot usualy do this unless it was asked of them.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never seen it done like this.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I've had it on a Costume National jacket...not terribly common though

Learn something new everyday. Don't know there is such thing.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not on a man's jacket - we are not really knowledgable on female clothes here so you might be better to try a more appropriate forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads