1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever paid for a term paper?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Dakota rube, Apr 10, 2011.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

No, and it's a stupid thing to do: 1) You don't learn / practice how to write which is a very vital skill. 2) You don't have the personal satisfaction of doing a job well done if you get a good grade. 3) You are paying money for a course but then paying someone else to do the coursework for you, effectively not learning and wasting your time / money going to class.
    Agreed. Plus, the Chronicle articles suggests that many of the freelance paper writers "phone in" their assignments. It's all a form of amusement to them. They're getting paid for mediocre papers. Poor bastards that buy those things.

2. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

I find the problem lies with the fact that we haven't developed good ways to teach people how to write. No one's trying to figure out how to effectively teach that skill. It's either you can or can't.

People don't seem to have as much difficulty in learning math or science as we've figured out multiple ways to teach the same concept.

3. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I find the problem lies with the fact that we haven't developed good ways to teach people how to write. No one's trying to figure out how to effectively teach that skill. It's either you can or can't.

People don't seem to have as much difficulty in learning math or science as we've figured out multiple ways to teach the same concept.

More reading generally leads to better writing IME.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

See:

More reading generally leads to better writing IME.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

No. I don't believe the service was widely available as it is now. I might've if its the present day.

6. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

This is relevant I think http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/AHILxP/neddyy.net/docs/ It's a document corrupter
    Oh man, I've pulled that trick before. Turned in a paper that had the first few paragraphs written (because that's all I had written at that point), then the rest filled with random gibberish in a font like Wingdings. To top it off, I changed the file extension to something nonsensical (funny enough, I think I changed it from .doc to .docx, which is a legitimate extension these days). It worked. Professor told me the file was corrupted, couldn't open, etc. I told him I needed to retype it from scratch, and I acted very exasperated. I got a three-day extension of my deadline. Score! In retrospect, my move was quite ballsy. The professor easily could have asked some assistant or IT person at the university to give him a hand with the file -- in which case, I would have been screwed and possibly even expelled (we had a retardedly strict honor code).

9. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

In retrospect, my move was quite ballsy. The professor easily could have asked some assistant or IT person at the university to give him a hand with the file -- in which case, I would have been screwed and possibly even expelled (we had a retardedly strict honor code).

See, I'm good at what I do in the sense that I leave very little room for situations like the above. I've got it down to an art.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

FWIW if you're offering editing/tutoring services you're not responsbile for what the hypothetical student does with your work.

11. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I was the term paper master in school. Turn them shits in 5 days late and two pages short and still get an A. So my friend paid me 100 bucks to write her a paper. Turned in a masterwork and they gave her an F.

Turns out you're supposed to write something lousy that would scrape by with a b. Otherwise the teacher knows they're cheating.