1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Saltricks, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I most certainly pay attention to what others around me are wearing, and I can be rather judgmental - but only in my mind, I would never comment on it the way I would comment on something posted in, say, the WAYWT thread where people post specifically to get comments and feedback.

2. Funkatronik

Funkatronik New Member

Same here. I don't remember ever getting a compliment from a female stranger. Men often do compliment my style, particularly when I have a moustache.

This is Finland though. A collared shirt, jeans with no holes and clean sneakers will put you on the top 5% best dressed person list in most situations. Just wearing a tie
    in a bar often gets you some compliments.

1 person likes this.
  3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'm in my forties..

A few moons ago,I was really bothered by such issues ,sometimes stereotyping people accordingly to their clothing...

Now,I tend to notice only extremes and to be fair,It doesn't affect as much my judgement on that particular person..

You can be a twat in skinny jeans or in a Savile Row's suit..

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Well, I am generally not bothered by what other people wear. I'm perfectly happy wearing what I like and I think others should be allowed to be too. That doesn't mean I'm not having internal discussions with myself along the lines of "what on Earth is that guy wearing...."

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It's easier now to feel comfortable wearing clothes according to my own tastes than in my youth for obvious peer pressure issues and desire to be accepted..

When you feel comfortable wearing what you really like,it is the clothing's nirvana..

I have just seen an obese teen wearing a miniskirt and I loled.

6. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

My price spectrum has been completely altered beyond all reason -

Pre SF - $200 for a pair of shoes? Who the hell pays this?!

Now - Wow, GGs MTO Cordovan only comes to just over a grand - steal.

1 person likes this.
  7. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

Same. SF has completely skewed my perception of what clothes should cost in a way that is very detrimental to my wallet.

8. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

truth.

9. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Amen to that, brother!! My pre-SF, most expensive piece of clothing was a half-crappy suit that I payed about €600 for. I thought at that time that it was an outrageous sum of money. Then I joined SF and I have, just in the last 12 months, bought two suits that were at least twice that price per suit. And don't even get me started on shoes.....

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

A canadian girl told me she thought I was gay when she first met me because I was nice and knew how to dress.

beech

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

I woke up at 4:30 this morning (20 minutes ago). Couldn't go to sleep. I have work in a few hours. And I'm like fuck it...what will I do to kill time. Ah...StyleForum. Might as well take a picture for WAWRN. Gotta get dressed. Shirt, check. tie, check. jacket, check. I'm good to go, y'all never see my pants anyway. So took the picture, posted it, and now I'm sitting here, in an odd jacket, tie, and a shirt with no pants on typing on the internet while eating some weird Korean cereal.

So has SF had a detrimental impact? You tell me.

12. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Was in the pisser and a guy went to the urinal next to mine. I told him i liked his watch......he didnt care for that too much.

13. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

lol, you should have woken up the wife for morning sechs...uh...I mean bonding.

1 person likes this.
  14. celery

celery Senior member

You spoke in the restroom. It is forbidden.

15. atoms

atoms Senior member

In this case, the watch is presumably right next to his penis. I wouldn't blame the man for offering an ill response.

Also, I love this thread.

16. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

SF is detrimental to my cash flow.

17. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I've literally said that to someone. I'm very fortunate that he was about my size and had heard I tought Tae Kwon Do (which is really shit in fights, but people seem to think it gives you magic powers or something), because anyone a little bigger who shared his mindset would have beaten the tar out of me.

I can't recall what exactly he said, but it amounted to "Why are you always dressed up? Are you gay or something?"

So I called him a homophobe, and said "I don't make fun of you for always looking like shit, do I?"

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

If you talk to me when I piss;

1-You want to suck me ,fuck me or all the above...

2-You want my watch...

19. fides

fides Active Member

I'm new to SF so my experiences have not been as similar as the others, but my choices in clothing, the type and quality have been definately affected. Also spending in the 100s seems somewhat incomplete, whereas Pre-SF, 300 dollars for any pair of shoes was idiotic. Even though I'm labelling this as a beneficial expereince, in reality I am a 21 year old University Senior about to graduate with loans, spending 700 on Alden's is probably not a smart move, but GAWD DAMNNIT THEY ARE GORGEOUS.

20. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Hmm, that's not at all my experience with Finnish girls -- or any girl, really. You've probably got something goofy going on with your clothes. (Need not be a bad thing.)

Occasions at which my SF mentality has being detrimental? On balance, very few. Maybe that I'm loath to forgo the pocket square, even in situations where it's possibly considered a little snotty. I just don't feel fully dressed without it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013