1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Saltricks, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

It happened again last night? I was in the middle of talking to some girl I met at a lounge and she said "I wanted to come over and say hi to you, but you looked so intimidating"

Wha??

2. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Happens to me all the time. I'm unapproachable, intimidating, and pretentious.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

And modest.:)

4. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

HAha!

5. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Nice. :D

1 person likes this.
  6. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Apparently I'm just a dick.

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

A big +1 to all the comments about being presumed arrogant, assholic, intimidating, gay, and dickish.

Then again, maybe it's because when someone compliments what I'm wearing, my stock reply is "Thanks, now get off my dick, townie."

I have learned to be more comfortable toning it down, though. To actually forego the sport coat from time to time when going out was a big step for me. I've found I've been more popular since. Or, you know, as popular as a disdainful prick can ever be.

8. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I always get the gay thing. As though wearing pink shirts, loafers with no socks, cardigans and knit ties is in any way gay! I always have half a mind to bitch slap the motherfucker, but then I'd have to let go of all the dicks.

4 people like this.
  9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Be proud and fight homophobia...

We all are behind you.

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Or would he prefer we were in front of him? :smarmy:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

And a small one.

12. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I've been told that I'm quite.... average :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'm average ..for a white man....

Nothing to brag about..

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

+1. I'm never over or under dressed.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Interesting thread, to which I'll quote Oscar Wilde

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

He never had the pleasure to go to a MC's get together.

17. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

I've been told that I'm (based on looks) unfashionable, stuck-up, and rich. I guess I'm doing something right, then? ;)

18. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I get the gay comment, and it always has something to do with clothes and my hair. I have curly hair so naturally when I put product in my hair it gets really curly and that just seems to be the topic when the guys want to make fun of me.

The younger group of friends that I have tend to seek my advice on attire at times. There was this one guy that recommended I wear, "nice jeans, a plaid shirt, some nice sandals, aviators and a rosary." I just smiled and said yeah thanks. I consider my style to be rather casual, I try to aim for styles mirrored by our guys in WAYWRN MC because I feel that anything more than that would be a little too much unless I am going out.

Some of my friends have asked me to take them shopping and tell me to get whatever I like for them.

Well clearly this must be only for women because you seemed pretty friendly to me ;) lol

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Bumping this thread for awesomeness.

(My only negative experience so far has been people comparing me to Justin Bieber when dressed in SW&D brands. Also, I've found that, What are you talking about, the Biebs wears Junya!.. is not a solid reply).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  20. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

When I go out dressed up, which I mean a SC+waistcoat+jeans+PS, this never work on stranger women where I lived

But if I get ask to dress nice for an event, I usually end up penetrating my female friends...etc

I believe you need to dress according to the occasion, if you are in big town having a drink and night out (e.g. London, Paris, Hong Kong), there is no problem to dress SF level and meeting up girls (p.s. be careful with your wallet)

But if you are like me, studying in Reading, then I will only leave my suit for internships or specific lads night out, SC and PS for daytime town walk-about and Jude Law styled SW&D for the night

I had not have too much luck at pulling with the uni girls ATM, situation changed when I go back home