• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?

Saltricks

Reaction score
In my single days, I remember one night at a lounge this smoking hot girl came up to me and said "I like your suit", to which I said, "It's actually a sportcoat". Needless to say, I went home alone that night.

Any funny stories where your SF influenced dress, manner, attitude has let you down?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back during my first month or so on the forum, I created and posted this in the conservative business dress thread.

default.png

Based on the complete lack of reaction from everyone on the thread at the time, I believe I made it onto about 20 or so Ignore lists within an hour of posting it. My ego is still somewhat bruised.

But enough about me. Got pics of your lost hottie?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I'll never forget I was told by a beautiful girl at a bar that she was happy she took a chance to talk to me because I looked so "unapproachable." At the time was wearing tortoise shells, SC (with PS), button-front, raw denim and tassels (a look I would consider rather casual/after-work-drinks friendly). She dressing so well made me intimidating. She also said her guy friends told her I had to be gay :censored:.

I was able to seal that deal but it was a bit disconcerting how many opportunities I might have missed out on because of being over-dressed in a lot (if not most) occasions. I suppose it might be a symptom of being younger, however, so hopefully more women will appreciate the effort as I get older.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never. I carefully vet my venues.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my single days, I remember one night at a lounge this smoking hot girl came up to me and said "I like your suit", to which I said, "It's actually a sportcoat". Needless to say, I went home alone that night.

That sounds almost as bad as been a boring sneakerhead. One might have well have talked about one's trainspotting(collecting locomotive numbers) hobby to her.

She gave you a compliment and you corrected her. :crazy:

Any funny stories where your SF influenced dress, manner, attitude has let you down?

Never, I'm not that much of a clothing geek(yet) to let it happen. Although where I am, I can wear pretty much anything and they nearly always think it's cool.

Last edited:

ddonicht

Reaction score
I work tech which is notoriously casual so I get grief all the time at work for wearing suits and sport coats.

Saltricks

Reaction score
I get that "I thought you were an arrogant dude when I saw you but you're actually a pretty cool guy" a lot :\

I don't look arrogant do I? :(

eliasgomez

Reaction score
never had the situation happen but its probably because i dont dress the way id like to. mostly because i feel ill encounter something similar. Ive been able to pull off many styles but when it comes to dressing up for a formal or semi formal event, i feel uncomfortable. ive been complimented on the way i dress when i do. but some of my friends like to tease me and ask me if im working at the stock exchange, i just feel clueless when it comes to fashion or staying up to date on it. but thats why im on hear. I think its an attitude thing more than anything. if your going to wear it OWN the look..

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I get that "I thought you were an arrogant dude when I saw you but you're actually a pretty cool guy" a lot :\

I don't look arrogant do I? :(

At work , people are always telling me the same thing..

You're always so smart.....

In Folkestone ,being smart is wearing chino and a shirt....:embar:

If you dare wearing a sc or a suit , you are over-dressed..

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:laugh: Good story. Doesn't sound like a sartorial problem, though. Sounds to me like you have trouble turning off your inner teacher. I can relate. I used to correct people's grammar in casual conversation. D'oh!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting the comments re: being unapproachable and looking arrogant.

A few girls at work actually said once that out of two identically attractive guys - they would prefer the one who is well dressed but would only approach the one who was dressed down...

Take from that what you will. I suppose your demeanour should determine whether you are approachable or not - rather than your sartorial choices...

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See? Same thing in this thread as well. Of course, when I posted it in "conservative business dress an Experiment", I was unaware that Manton actually HAD written a book on the subject.

Last edited:

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
When a man dresses well he suddenly brings out the inferiority complexes bubbling just below the surface of certain women. They have enough on their plates competing with other girls. Once you up your game, things get desperate.

Then again, if you look the part, you have to play it. Otherwise you're a dweeb.

SF mentality is for SF.

Last edited:

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Great!

I've been getting the: "I assumed you were an asshole and thought you looked as if you think you're better than everyone else, but really you're a pretty nice guy" line for a long time. Now that I'm improving my attire, what will i be made to endure?

To be fair to the teaming masses though, i do think I'm better than most people I encounter for a whole host of reasons, so I suppose I'm giving off a not too inaccurate vibe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads