1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Saltricks, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

In my single days, I remember one night at a lounge this smoking hot girl came up to me and said "I like your suit", to which I said, "It's actually a sportcoat". Needless to say, I went home alone that night.

Any funny stories where your SF influenced dress, manner, attitude has let you down?

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Back during my first month or so on the forum, I created and posted this in the CBD thread.

[​IMG]

Based on the complete lack of reaction from everyone on the thread at the time, I believe I made it onto about 20 or so Ignore lists within an hour of posting it. My ego is still somewhat bruised.

But enough about me. Got pics of your lost hottie?

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I told someone recently that my watch told time in London, Paris, Rome and Gstaad. He offered me $50.

4 people like this.
  4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I'll never forget I was told by a beautiful girl at a bar that she was happy she took a chance to talk to me because I looked so "unapproachable." At the time was wearing tortoise shells, SC (with PS), button-front, raw denim and tassels (a look I would consider rather casual/after-work-drinks friendly). She dressing so well made me intimidating. She also said her guy friends told her I had to be gay :censored:.

I was able to seal that deal but it was a bit disconcerting how many opportunities I might have missed out on because of being over-dressed in a lot (if not most) occasions. I suppose it might be a symptom of being younger, however, so hopefully more women will appreciate the effort as I get older.

1 person likes this.
  5. comrade

comrade Senior member

Never. I carefully vet my venues.

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

That sounds almost as bad as been a boring sneakerhead. One might have well have talked about one's trainspotting(collecting locomotive numbers) hobby to her.

She gave you a compliment and you corrected her. :crazy:

Never, I'm not that much of a clothing geek(yet) to let it happen. Although where I am, I can wear pretty much anything and they nearly always think it's cool.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. ddonicht

ddonicht Senior member

I work tech which is notoriously casual so I get grief all the time at work for wearing suits and sport coats.

1 person likes this.
  8. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

I get that "I thought you were an arrogant dude when I saw you but you're actually a pretty cool guy" a lot :\

I don't look arrogant do I? :(

9. eliasgomez

eliasgomez Member

never had the situation happen but its probably because i dont dress the way id like to. mostly because i feel ill encounter something similar. Ive been able to pull off many styles but when it comes to dressing up for a formal or semi formal event, i feel uncomfortable. ive been complimented on the way i dress when i do. but some of my friends like to tease me and ask me if im working at the stock exchange, i just feel clueless when it comes to fashion or staying up to date on it. but thats why im on hear. I think its an attitude thing more than anything. if your going to wear it OWN the look..

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

At work , people are always telling me the same thing..

You're always so smart.....

In Folkestone ,being smart is wearing chino and a shirt....:embar:

If you dare wearing a sc or a suit , you are over-dressed..

11. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

:laugh: Good story. Doesn't sound like a sartorial problem, though. Sounds to me like you have trouble turning off your inner teacher. I can relate. I used to correct people's grammar in casual conversation. D'oh!

12. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

It's interesting the comments re: being unapproachable and looking arrogant.

A few girls at work actually said once that out of two identically attractive guys - they would prefer the one who is well dressed but would only approach the one who was dressed down...

Take from that what you will. I suppose your demeanour should determine whether you are approachable or not - rather than your sartorial choices...

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

See? Same thing in this thread as well. Of course, when I posted it in "CBD an Experiment", I was unaware that Manton actually HAD written a book on the subject.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    2 people like this.
  14. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

When a man dresses well he suddenly brings out the inferiority complexes bubbling just below the surface of certain women. They have enough on their plates competing with other girls. Once you up your game, things get desperate.

Then again, if you look the part, you have to play it. Otherwise you're a dweeb.

SF mentality is for SF.

1 person likes this.
  15. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

Great!

I've been getting the: "I assumed you were an asshole and thought you looked as if you think you're better than everyone else, but really you're a pretty nice guy" line for a long time. Now that I'm improving my attire, what will i be made to endure?

To be fair to the teaming masses though, i do think I'm better than most people I encounter for a whole host of reasons, so I suppose I'm giving off a not too inaccurate vibe.

16. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I have a "job interview uniform" that consists of a Jos. A. Bank suit, Cole Haan captoe, and a plain white shirt.

A recruiter that I was working with a few years ago mentioned that my suits looked too expensive for me to be taken seriously as a "hard working" guy (in the trenches in finance).

2 people like this.
  17. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Just thought of another one. My roommate started dating this girl who is a "stylist" (immediate red flag, IMO). Anyway we were sitting on the couch the other night and I was in sweats as I had just finished working out. She went on a rant about how Marc Jacobs makes the best menswear and that she would love to pull some pieces for me because it would be a great style, etc, etc and how, obviously, judging by my current attire, I could use some tips.

I thanked her for her suggestion and then went, politely, yet in an informed manner, on a bit a tirade about the terrible quality, too-trendy styling and how he is in no way, shape or form a good fit for my style. The entire time I could tell she was completely taken off guard and at the end of it was actually quite pissed that a guy knew more about the brands that she was recommending to her clients than she did. When she asked what brands I would love to wear all the time I said Kiton and Attolini and explained why. I might as well have been speaking Chinese.

Needless to say the roommate asked why I had to be such a dick after she told him and she is "no longer a fan of mine." C'est la vie.

9 people like this.
  18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

hahahahahaaha!!!!

but thats a $6,000 watch! its THE sports watch of the 1980s...

well in philly, its worth FIFTY bucks.

2 people like this.
  19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ive gotten that for years, even before SF. the nice thing about getting married, is that you dont have to look approachable anymore...i can become even MOAR of an asshoal. :D

4 people like this.
  20. OTM

OTM Senior member

I like to reply to the question of why I am so dressed up today with my favorite Andre3000 quote:

"Some days you wake up feeling a little extra spiffy!"

or something of the sort...