• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever dated a woman that was one step ahead of you mentally?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hesitate to classify it as "smarter" because then people would mention some random nuclear physicist nerd they dated in sophomore year.

I mean a woman who is wittier than you, can speak intelligently regarding various subjects often to a great extent than you can, routinely can lead an intelligent conversation, and once in a while opens your mind up to things you never really thought about before.

I ask because I broke up with one girlfriend because she was not able to do this, and much to my dismay, I haven't been able to find it in the years since.

I know these women exist - I encountered them in college. But I wonder for those of you that have actually dated them, how has that turned out?

Poll anonymous.

Edit: Feel free to classify women who you perceived to be "tied" with you on this front as "smarter", just for the poll's sake.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you marsupialed? These are women your talking about. If it doesnt involve the hills, people magazine or lady gaga they dont care. why do I even open these threads?
241ngpl.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a few dates with a woman who was smarter than me. The problem is that she saw through all my lies and pathetic attempts to bed her so there was no future for the relationship. It's all nurse's aids and banktellers for me from now on.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I ask because I broke up with one girlfriend because she was not able to do this, and much to my dismay, I haven't been able to find it in the years since.
Hm.
"I have an objective reason to consider myself quite intelligent; the experience went well." "I have objective reasons to consider myself quite intelligent; the experience went well."
FTFY. ~ H

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key is to make her believe she is smarter by occasionally dumbing it down a bit.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the kind that truly knows how to **** with your feelings?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Hm.

FTFY.

~ H

Grammar fail on your part. Poll wording is correct.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Grammar fail on your part. Poll wording is correct.

Hmm, no. Objective reason is indeed a term that can be used in specialized philosophical writings but that was not what you were aiming for. Nice try though...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"I have reason to believe...."

Is grammatically correct. It can be transformed with an adjective ("objective") without losing the correctness of the structure.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
"I have reason to believe...." Is grammatically correct. It can be transformed with an adjective ("objective") without losing the correctness of the structure.
It sounds like an expression and I'd be wary of transforming it. Now it is still a marsupialed wording, who in the world has objective reason to believe he is intelligent anyway?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend. I win in the common sense (she is a woman) and motor skills (driving, most athletic things) department. But there are several things she is more knowledgeable about than I. She's as book smart as they come.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I think in one way or another, all of my exes have been a step ahead of me. Sure, dated some morons over the years, but they never last long. All the girls I have kept around have had an edge on me somewhere...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I think in one way or another, all of my exes have been a step ahead of me. Sure, dated some morons over the years, but they never last long. All the girls I have kept around have had an edge on me somewhere...

"Having a ******" does not count as an edge, Matt.
lol8[1].gif

Just kidding, ladies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hesitate to classify it as "smarter" because then people would mention some random nuclear physicist nerd they dated in sophomore year.

I mean a woman who is wittier than you, can speak intelligently regarding various subjects often to a great extent than you can, routinely can lead an intelligent conversation, and once in a while opens your mind up to things you never really thought about before.

I know these women exist - I encountered them in college. But I wonder for those of you that have actually dated them, how has that turned out?

Poll anonymous.

Edit: Feel free to classify women who you perceived to be "tied" with you on this front as "smarter", just for the poll's sake.

i did for about a year and it was pretty exhilerating till she realized that she could do better then me (inevitable byproduct)

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
"Having a ******" does not count as an edge, Matt.
lol8[1].gif

the morons had those too. I know. I saw them.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads