• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever bought something fake from ebay?

Musketer

Reaction score
... despite hundreds of positive feedback the seller received?

Wu Dynasty

Reaction score
Sometimes sellers of very obviously fake items have high feedback simply because educated buyers can tell right away. The people who end up buying from these sellers are either ignorant of the fact that fakes even exist, or know that they are buying fakes.

coopster

Reaction score
i have been pretty lucky. i remember buying some diesel jeans (i know, i know) about 6 years ago off ebay and they were blatantly fake even though the guy had a feedback of 1000+. I think that some of the people that sell the stuff have no idea to the items authenticity but they know advertising the product as "100% real" will gardner the most money in the auction.

btw when i was typing this post in my bed the biggest f@cking spider thought it would be cool to walk onto my shoulder and hangout.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda. I bought a pair of NIKE Air Force One's on my friend's order (he paid me for them). I didn't think they were fake but when they arrived I looked up the telltale signs of a counterfeit and discovered it was a fake. I told my friend about it and he was cool with it. Ended disputing with paypal and got half the money back, and left negative feedback on the midnight of the 90th day.

90% of the branded trendy articles on ebay are fake. I've seen a seller sell a ton of Armani suits at decent prices and they were all fake, its criminal that they get away with it.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wu Dynasty
Sometimes sellers of very obviously fake items have high feedback simply because educated buyers can tell right away. The people who end up buying from these sellers are either ignorant of the fact that fakes even exist, or know that they are buying fakes.

Or they see a "branded" item at a cheap price and are ecstatic to finally own something by Armani.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worries about one item, it seems to be very high quality and the details and everything all look legit, the price just worries me. The seller had been a member for a very long time and had a ton of good feedback. I guess I will send someone the excess fabric when I get them hemmed and they can compare it to their pair and tell me what they think.

sfnewbie

Reaction score
Yes, but I figured it was fake because of the BIN price.

Musketer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
I have worries about one item, it seems to be very high quality and the details and everything all look legit, the price just worries me. The seller had been a member for a very long time and had a ton of good feedback. I guess I will send someone the excess fabric when I get them hemmed and they can compare it to their pair and tell me what they think.

I am in the same position. There is something high price and looks genuine and the seller has 2000+ positive feedback and zero negative but still his answers to my questions made me worried.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
North Face Jacket when I was an ebay noob! I found out the hard way that it wasn't waterproof.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, many years ago when eBay started. The seller was unaware it was fake, supposedly; however, she was nice enough to allow me to return it.

pred02

Reaction score
To reduce the risk of fake items, I mostly bid on 2nd hand items from non-store sellers (i.e. people that just list to clean up their wardrobe) and do not have 10000+ feedback selling clothes. I also avoid ordering from HK/Thailand/China (though I am not sure if this reduces the risk).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
About ten years ago, one of my first ebay purchases was a fake pair of Dolce & Gabbana sandals. I thought they were real, of course, but I was new on the 'bay and didn't really know what to look for. So, I got them and they fell apart in two weeks and I reported the seller... but he/she just went on selling and nothing much happened.

Lesson learned and that was a good, relatively cheap and early, incentive to learn "the warning signs" and be a smarter shopper.

crpz32

Reaction score
I purchased some cheap silk ties from this Ebay seller.

http://stores.ebay.com/xiaowei5688

I really can't see myself dropping $$$$ for ties, so I purchased two of these Hong Kong ties for about 7 dollars a piece hoping they weren't total junk.

This is what i received...LOL
DSC00604.jpg

So yes, i guess I bought something fake from Ebay, but the seller never claimed to be selling fake merchandise anywhere on his auctions.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
eBay has become a very unsafe venue for purchasing luxury goods. Counterfeit merchandise has become so precise that it is virtually impossible to authenticate some items simply by looking at a photo (even if you consider yourself an expert of that brand). My suggestion is that unless you know the seller through previous experience then don't buy. You are much better off purchasing through a small on-line store where you can deal directly with the owner or seller. Since we are on the subject, I should also point out that Paypal is the worst as far as offering any degree of security. The "fine print" of Paypal essentially makes it that they are poised directly in the middle, between the seller and the buyer, and therefore play both ends against the middle.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Having bought and sold on eBay since 1999 this is my favorite eBay story/experience (and perhaps the saddest one):
I sold a person an item for somewhere in the area of $22,000.
When the client received the item she called me immediately to say that she was fairly certain the item was a fake. I assured her it was not a fake (I personally purchased the item myself at the brand-name shop) and told her I could prove its authenticity. I asked her why she thought it was fake. She told me "I own two others and yours doesn't look like they do". Her "two others" turned out to be fake. The "two others" she paid in the area of $17,000 each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads