• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever bought shoes on the internet without trying the model first?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
Considering one would have to pay an amount for the things he wanted, he would be stupid enough not to know the size of that thing.

What? I'm trying to say that sole measurements are not a good indication of fit.

Taken Aback

Reaction score
  1. For another color of a style you tried in-store in your size, there's no risk.
  2. For another style of a brand you have tried in store in your size, there's some risk.
  3. For another brand than a pair you own in your size, a hell of a risk.

Widths, lengths and depth all depend on the lasts used for the shoes, making a size as specific as "11 EEE" often too broad a definition. Obviously, this gets more muddled and often erroenous the lower the brand you go, so in general I try to seek online for the style and color I want, then price, then stores that have them and for fit and THEN decide.

Of course, this all goes out the window when you find something in-store you haven't sen and fits great. Then you buy it, look it up online, and then decide if you paid a good pice, or need to return it.
wink.gif

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
Have you ever bought shoes on the internet without trying the model first?

Yes, a pair of Cleverley Brown Norwegian Split Toe shoes. I called a rep and discussed the sizing, based on my EG and GG shoe sizes, and asked about THE RETURN POLICY...so, if they didn't fit properly, I could return them. Paying return postage is a small price to pay when getting what you want that's not available locally. The shoes arrived, I tried them on, and I got lucky - they fit perfectly. Won't always be the case though. If you are to nervous about the shoe not fitting, postage, and all that, don't do it. This requires a person willing to take calculated risk, informed risk.

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taken Aback
  1. For another brand than a pair you own in your size, a hell of a risk.

I find it easiest to just mail the store in question and ask for their advice about fit. They tend to have a good idea of how their shoes fit in comparison with other brands and are usually happy to help.

Also, I wouldn't go as far as talking about "risk", unless the store has a no returns-policy. But you should never buy from a store like that in the first place.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes, many times. Fit perfectly 1/2 of the times, adequate but not perfect another 1/4 of the times, and 1/4 needed to be returned or sold.

This

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes calling a store and inquiring about the fit helps. When I was looking into Magnanni I called Nordy's and was informed that they run about .5-1.0 size large. Went with a 12M and they fit perfectly.

Hany

Reaction score
Life is a gamble. If you buy at the right price (where you can just sell and not loose $ if they don't fit) there's no reason not to take the risk.

Taken Aback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ziss
I find it easiest to just mail the store in question and ask for their advice about fit. They tend to have a good idea of how their shoes fit in comparison with other brands and are usually happy to help.

As I pointed out, each brand can use different lasts, and so a fit can vary by style within a brand. The average salesperson simply comparing brand to brand does not engender my confidence. One from a high-end retailer is more likely to not only say what he has stocked that will fit you, but willing to discuss brands and styles he may not that suit you better.

Originally Posted by Ziss
Also, I wouldn't go as far as talking about "risk", unless the store has a no returns-policy. But you should never buy from a store like that in the first place.

Risk of disappointment, at least. Although, while I would agree about avoiding them in general, if you know of a style and size of shoe that fits you well, it can be worth the risk to visit that "no-return" retailer if the price is low enough, and the shoes in question are new. I have obtained the odd closeout that was worth the risk.

Originally Posted by Hany
Life is a gamble. If you buy at the right price (where you can just sell and not loose $ if they don't fit) there's no reason not to take the risk.

I raise my glass to you.
cheers.gif

harburn

Reaction score
Many times. Majority work out. Risk is reflected in the price paid. If no returns, then lower offer.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all the time... only time ive had a problem was with a pair of givenchy sneakers

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harburn
Many times. Majority work out. Risk is reflected in the price paid. If no returns, then lower offer.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads