• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever been treated poorly by snooty salespeople?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be this stereotype that salespeople at high end stores can be quite snooty. I know people who are afraid to walk inside these stores because they think they'll be embarrassed by snobbish staff.

I've seen one or two people get treated like crap when they went into nice stores, but its never happened to me. The worst I've ever gotten is a very vague feeling that maybe there was a possibility that they were trying to be a little sarcastic, but not enough to be sure that it wasn't just some attempt at dry wit.

Have you ever been treated poorly by snobbish salespeople?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Who hasn't?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Who hasn't?

Point taken, I tweaked the title to make it a bit more specific.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I've never gotten any sarcastic comments, just the regular huhs and sighs, "why the hell am I working here" attitudes.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually put them in their place if they get snooty. Afterall, they're just retailers. If they want a sale, better treat me like a king.

Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
There seems to be this stereotype that salespeople at high end stores can be quite snooty. I know people who are afraid to walk inside these stores because they think they'll be embarrassed by snobbish staff.

I've seen one or two people get treated like crap when they went into nice stores, but its never happened to me. The worst I've ever gotten is a very vague feeling that maybe there was a possibility that they were trying to be a little sarcastic, but not enough to be sure that it wasn't just some attempt at dry wit.

Have you ever been treated poorly by snobbish salespeople?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to, until I started walking around with a note pad and pen with "FNB" written on a sticker slapped onto my welt pocket. Now I get a lot of "Would monsieur like a glass of Shiraz?" and "Monsieur has such a wonderful sense of humor" and "But of course you can take Amber to lunch just have her back by close of business."
tounge.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that I can ever remember, quite honestly. There have been one or two unpleasant incidents. I can remember one female "sales associate" at a local Nordstrom's who was too busy yakking on an obvious personal call to attend to me, but I wouldn't ascribe that to "snootiness."

Since I like to fancy I have a distinguished demeanor and I customarily dress far, far better than the overwhelming majority of Southern Californians, I am usually made quite welcome even in the most upscale establishments.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody at sometimes has.

I have, for the most part, outgrown that feeling of needing to be waited on, and have learned to ignore any perceived slight or sarcasm from the sale associates.

I know what I what, I know what I'm looking at, and I do know their product better than most of them. As long as the credit card is in my wallet, I am the king.

novqilin

Reaction score
the worst experience wasn't in western world ...
it's in china in some designer stores like dior
everyone talks like he owns the place and cannot care less about you

joshb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Who hasn't?

You stole my reply ;>

I generally treat these occasions by never giving the store any more of my business. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I went into the Ralph Lauren store on Rodeo a couple of months ago, and I will never spend another dollar in there. I found a purple label suit and cashmere sweater that I was going to go for, but after the ridiculous treatment, I put them down and left. I'd imagine the manager would have been perturbed to know that they lost several thousand in sales that day, but it wasn't worth my time to tell them.

My theory is that in a lot of those stores (especially on Rodeo), since 99% of the people who walk in will never buy anything, the salespeople become jaded and start to treat everyone as such. No excuse, but my theory nonetheless.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoiding stores because of perceived shabby treatment may work for some, but the consequences are lots of missed opportunities to try on clothes.

The only use I have for sales associates are fetching items and finishing the sale. For the most part, shabby treatments occured during the initial "browsing the store" pahse. Once you express the desire to purchase, sales associates usually will bent over backward to accomodate you.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are all too good-natured. I was looking forward to some entertaining horror stories. You're no fun.
frown.gif

joshb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Avoiding stores because of perceived shabby treatment may work for some, but the consequences are lots of missed opportunities to try on clothes.

I'll add that this case was really over the top, not just general apathy or semi-rudeness. That I can deal with...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.
In any case, thanks to SF I nowadays often manage to take revange asking them questions that they cannot answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads