• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever been treated poorly by snooty salespeople?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's why I love Tourneau, the guys up there are total losers and they probably hate my guts but I keep coming back for more attitude and more opportunities to play with watches that I will never buy from them.

Yeah, I just can't tolerate that place. I still remember the time I watched a salesperson explain to some rich idiot and his idiot wife that a tourbillion means the watch will never need winding or regulating. I say they were idiots because the guy then said something like, "Yes, I've heard 'Tourbillion' is the best," and his wife replied, "Oh, let's get two then!"

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Chicago store is always empty.
The NY store isn't much different.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I hear all of these stories about Paul Stuart NYC.

Do we need to do a GTG and see how they react if I go in Thom Browne in full force?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Chicago store is always empty.

This has been my experience, too. I've never had a good look at their merchandise because I HATE to have someone hover over me while I try to browse. On every occasion I've been in the store, the salesperson follows me and stands over me the whole time, even though I make it very clear that I simply want to browse on my own.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
A few times. Mostly when I travel.

One of the better stories, however, was one that took place at a store I like a lot where I live. A new person was working there (who didn't pick up on the fact I was quite friendly with the other workers) and he was truly rude: he seemed insulted by the fact I wanted to try on so many things (I had come from helping a friend with a job, so wasn't wearing such impressive clothing), and snapped "only try on clothing you can afford- you shouldn't be here" (n.b. this is translated, and a memory).

I looked at him blankly, immediately demanded he get another worker (referring to the other by his first name), left with a large amount of clothing and without saying another thing to him.

I suspect because other men and women working there heard this, the guy was fired. He apparently had said other rude things to visitors, but nothing to that degree, and nothing to one of their better customers.

Damn. That is over the top.

Originally Posted by noVA99
I don't understand why someone would feel scared to go into a "high end" store for fear of embarassment and snootiness. You are there for one purpose....to get a good deal on something you like. Those sales associates are not putting food on your table or paying your bills so why should you care what they think of you.

There is a Saks by me, with this older (late 30s', early 40's) attractive woman who wears low cut blouses and has her nicely enhanced breasts exposed a lot of the times...obviously trying to get those monthly sales up, among other things
tounge.gif
so every now and then if I'm in the area and need to kill some time before an appointment, i'll stop in, ask for her to help me out, have her do a flirty critique of some things I'm interested in buying, flirt and yank her chain a bit, then leave the store without buying anything....once in a while, these type of female sales associates need to have their egos deflated
lol8[1].gif
tounge.gif

I think you're playing this game all wrong..

Originally Posted by gdl203
Often, but I don't give a flying one. Specifically, some watch stores can give that kind of attitude. My reaction to such attitude is to take 45 minutes of the guy's time and try on every watch I like. Then I usually leave because they don't offer me a good discount.

That's why I love Tourneau, the guys up there are total losers and they probably hate my guts but I keep coming back for more attitude and more opportunities to play with watches that I will never buy from them.

For clothing stores, I agree with mafoo that Paul Stuart is one of the worst. The old dudes up there have such a horrible attitude... ugh

crackup[1].gif
I do this on the phone with telemarketers who continue their pitch after I give a firm no. Then I'll keep them on the phone, ask them to explain the whole thing again as I set the phone down next to me, tell them I'll be right back, come back 5 minutes later and ask them to explain that one part again.

Yeah, I just can't tolerate that place. I still remember the time I watched a salesperson explain to some rich idiot and his idiot wife that a tourbillion means the watch will never need winding or regulating. I say they were idiots because the guy then said something like, "Yes, I've heard 'Tourbillion' is the best," and his wife replied, "Oh, let's get two then!"

Argh.
confused.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been treated indifferently by salespeople at Brooks Bros. and Aldens in San Francisco. While the best treatment was from Wilkes Bashford - the first time I went there was to meet up with my aunt who was doing some shopping in the ladies department, I had just pulled a study allnighter, rushed from Cal to SF, unshaven and ruffled, but they treated me with courtesy.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshb
I went into the Ralph Lauren store on Rodeo a couple of months ago, and I will never spend another dollar in there. I found a purple label suit and cashmere sweater that I was going to go for, but after the ridiculous treatment, I put them down and left. I'd imagine the manager would have been perturbed to know that they lost several thousand in sales that day, but it wasn't worth my time to tell them.
Let me guess. You met a certain Todd?

The Boston store isn't quite the same, either. My favorite associate had moved on but I was being assisted by a lively aspiring designer who proudly told me he had briefly worked with Mr. Lauren himself once. However, a more senior salesperson insisted on muscling in and tried to sell me a trench coat on sale that was clearly several sizes too large for me. He insisted I put it on and had the younger man call in the alterations tailor, who told him in front of me that there was no way those shoulders could be made to fit me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just last week, my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e and I were at a Jos A Bank store.

Because we both have to be dressed in formals through the working week, we like dressing down on weekends.

So, we walk in and there is this older woman who's too busy on the phone for the longest time. While she eventually got around to helping us, her whole attitude smacked of snootiness that put us off.

Either way, we walked to looking at suits (and I was seriously considering buying a new suit, funnily enough). And there was this other "rich person" who was being helped by a younger woman there.

This girl is rude to the point of not answering when we pointedly asked her for something. Her whole attitude was, "there is this rich person who is probably going to buy a suit, what the hell are you even doing here?"

We walked out. And into the Brooks Brothers next door.

The other thing that I've noticed is a weird race stereotyping -- I am brown (east-Indian) and my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e is caucasian, and there is this weird perception that you're somehow committing a social faux pas being that I have often encountered in some of the "uppity/snooty" stores.

Sublime_Law

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Just last week, my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e and I were at a Jos A Bank store.

Because we both have to be dressed in formals through the working week, we like dressing down on weekends.

So, we walk in and there is this older woman who's too busy on the phone for the longest time. While she eventually got around to helping us, her whole attitude smacked of snootiness that put us off.

Either way, we walked to looking at suits (and I was seriously considering buying a new suit, funnily enough). And there was this other "rich person" who was being helped by a younger woman there.

This girl is rude to the point of not answering when we pointedly asked her for something. Her whole attitude was, "there is this rich person who is probably going to buy a suit, what the hell are you even doing here?"

We walked out. And into the Brooks Brothers next door.

The other thing that I've noticed is a weird race stereotyping -- I am brown (east-Indian) and my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e is caucasian, and there is this weird perception that you're somehow committing a social faux pas being that I have often encountered in some of the "uppity/snooty" stores.

Rich people at JoS A. Bank?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I hear all of these stories about Paul Stuart NYC.

Maybe that's why the stuff flew out the door at the sale. (I saw a guy with 6 suits in line.) The Soiffer Haskin guys are just easier to deal with than the Paul Stuart guys.

Well, that and 70% off.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
I have been treated indifferently by salespeople at Brooks Bros. and Aldens in San Francisco. While the best treatment was from Wilkes Bashford - the first time I went there was to meet up with my aunt who was doing some shopping in the ladies department, I had just pulled a study allnighter, rushed from Cal to SF, unshaven and ruffled, but they treated me with courtesy.
The people at Wilkes are always very friendly. I think some of it has to do with the fact that he expects it from them, and some has to do with the fact that in the Bay Area many of the big spenders will show up in typical engineer clothing.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The people at Wilkes are always very friendly. I think some of it has to do with the fact that he expects it from them, and some has to do with the fact that in the Bay Area many of the big spenders will show up in typical engineer clothing.

The memory of the good treatment stayed with me, so when I could finally afford it, they were the first shop I spent money on. Really good service.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I treat people with respect and they treat me with respect, about 99% of the time. Bottom line, I'm not too worried about the behavior of ANY retail employee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads