• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever been to Russia?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Vietnam...i am an excellent host. Plus, direct flights from Moscow on the communist express
smile.gif

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Vietnam...i am an excellent host

So finally my pics with the pointy knees started to give me feedback - i knew!!!
bounce2.gif

If seriously, yes, Vietnam might also be a nice place to stay. My friends spend there all the winter for two years already... but they do kiting... and i can only do painting
eh.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
kite surfing? in mui ne presumably?

it's a fun place to visit, PM me if you are interested, or see the other thread on it. Always happy to take the forumites out. But be warned, I have a strict no kissing rule, it caused huge issues for globetrotter.

spb_lady

Reaction score
kite surfing? in mui ne presumably?

yes, it's kite surfing
blush.gif

I have a strict no kissing rule, it caused huge issues for globetrotter.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

i can imagine! but i'm sure i'll manage to deal with it
cool.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i will if you don't.

so, assuming Feb is hell, when should I go to Russia?

spb_lady

Reaction score
i will if you don't.

we are talking about no kissing while **********, right?
lol8[1].gif

so, assuming Feb is hell, when should I go to Russia?

To my mind the best time to visit Russia is either June, or September. It's quite warm, but not hot... and in June we have white nights in Saint-Petersburg... there is enough light at 2 at night to easily reed a book in the street
wink.gif
Looks nice.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What's a good itinerary to see Russia as a tourist if one has between 10-14 days. Also are there any reasonably priced hotels in St Petersburg and Moscow (around 175-225 USD a night). Most seem to be upwards of 500 USD. The city appears to be more expensive than Paris, at least hotel rates wise.

Originally Posted by Sherlock
Solution: Don't go to those 2 cities. There are many other cities in Russia to stay at that are much cheaper. But even for Moscow I find it impossible to believe that there are no hotels cheaper than $500 per night, unless you are only considering 5 star hotels.

You can find good offers in Moscow. Last week hilton had offers starting at 200-230 per night in Moscow. Although, the majority of the hotels (even small and not very nice ones) offer rooms from 150 USD per night.

Anyway, I would not recommend staying for two weeks neither in Moscow, nor in St. Petersburg. Of course, there are lots of places worth visiting, but it may be waste of time. In two weeks you can see lots of different places in any part of Russia - either Europian, Urals, Siberia or Far East.

Originally Posted by dtmt
1) Are the wimminz really as hot as they say?

2) Is the food really as bad as they say?

3) Do they really drink as much vodka as people say?

1. Some of them definetely are. Can't say about each and everyone.
2. Nope. It is great. If you like it.
3. Nope. As much as everywhere else.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am based in Moscow - and I have even been to Russia
wink.gif

Pharrell

Reaction score
Russia is an interesting place to visit but living here is not everybody's cup of tea. Trust me, as much as I love many things about my country, I detest living in Moscow and would definitely move to some other country as soon as an opportunity arises. I would still visit Russia though, I just don't want having to spend all my life here.

MumRaww

Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
3. Nope. As much as everywhere else.
Bull. The average life expectancy for males in Russia is somewhere around 60 years depending on source and that's because they drink so damn much. For women on the other hand, life expectancy is around 70 years +.

Per

Reaction score
Yes, after visiting Volgograd a few times I spent almost a year in Moscow. Apart from Nizhnyj Novgorod airport I have been in St. Petersburg as well. I visit Moscow once in a while but I should take the chance to see some others cities and parts of the country as well.

polska.dave

Reaction score
Currently living in Moscow until December. Anyone know any good markets to get a winter coat, gloves and a scarf?

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Yes.
I visited Moscow & Leningrad in 1972.
When out walking about, I never felt safer.

Made a return visit to St. Petersburg in 2001.
It's as beautiful as ever, but the feeling of safety was gone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads