• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever been mugged?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been mugged? If so, what did they go for (wallet, watch, car keys, etc.)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Never mugged, but on a similar note I did get my carjacked once while I was sitting in it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I got mugged in Barcelona while standing in front of my hostel. 6 Moroccans jumped me, strangled me, and then some little punk ass kid with gold teeth that looked like Sideshow Bob took whatever I had on me. It was no fun, especially since I went to Spain to get my mind off a break up. When I went to the police station I had to walk there and got mugged again, but this time had nothing on me. When I got to the police station there were other people there who had gotten mugged by the same assholes.

The best part is that there were cops patrolling the plaza. Nobody is scared of cops without guns though.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Never mugged, but on a similar note I did get my carjacked once while I was sitting in it.
Wow. Did you get it back?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Wow. Did you get it back?

Yeah actually. Cops found it like 8 hours later just a few blocks from where it was actually taken. I had just gotten done shopping, so all the retail stuff I bought was also stolen, but the car was in perfectly good condition and everything intact. The cops think it was some kind of gang orientation or something, since they left the car intact and ditched it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you meant the car got jacked and you were still in the car the whole time passed out or something. Otherwise don't all carjackings take place when you are sitting in it? Otherwise it is just stolen.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah actually. Cops found it like 8 hours later just a few blocks from where it was actually taken. I had just gotten done shopping, so all the retail stuff I bought was also stolen, but the car was in perfectly good condition and everything intact. The cops think it was some kind of gang orientation or something, since they left the car intact and ditched it.

So how did they actually take it? Did they run up on you at a red light with a gun or something?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I thought you meant the car got jacked and you were still in the car the whole time passed out or something. Otherwise don't all carjackings take place when you are sitting in it? Otherwise it is just stolen.
Prob. good point.
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
So how did they actually take it? Did they run up on you at a red light with a gun or something?

Sittin in the parking lot actually. We were sitting there, listening to the radio, waiting for somebody else to come out of the store. They came up, said they had guns, and we got out and walked inside and called the cops.
It was kinda funny that this was in a town of about 30k. it freaked me out b/c one week later, I was going to spend a week in NYC for the first time, and I thought that if I got my carjacked in a small town, I'd definitely get murdered in NYC.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel I was on the verge of being mugged by several guys in Los Angeles several years ago. Fortunately for me, the police pulled up just as they surrounded me. The police drove me back to my hotel and lectured me on being out alone. I thanked them profusely.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it depends how you define "mugged", up to 4 times.

once, I was in moscow and a gypsy taxi driver started to drive me in the wrong direction, and wouldn't stop. I was pretty sure that we was trying to take me someplace to mug me, which was pretty common in moscow at the time. I jumped out of the car when we stopped at a light.

in Mumbai, I was in a taxi with 2 collegues, and all of our baggage, coming from a train. the colegues were indian. the driver pulled over and a car pulled up behind us, and 4 guys got out of it, surrounding the car, obviously friends of the driver. so here we are on a back street of mumbai, 5 of them and 3 of us, with one of us old and one really wimply, and me not in the best shape in the world. it would have been very easy for them to take all of our stuff, including cell phones and computers. anyway, they basically start negotiating - "the taxi was broken, and they needed money to fix it" basically. so, what would have been a $2 ride, they wanted $50, and we negotiated them down to 10 or 20, and they left us by the side of the road. I found it ammusing that their goals were so low.

twice, when I was in my early 20's, I had the same expererince in Amstersam somebody tried to mug me, without a weapon. essentially a large young guy came up to me on the street and demanged money, or he was going to "**** me up". both times I was able to get away without giving any money. if he had been armed, I probrably would have just given up what I had.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Someone attempted to mug me once in "Bricktown" in downtown Detroit, outside of an after hours/underground bar called Sardines, about 4am on a Saturday night. It didn't quite work out for them, due in no small part, to my 6'9" bouncer friend that came barreling out of the club door
smile.gif

Kwik, glad you got through that. Carjacking is serious business.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Three older kids tried to steal my sneakers when I was like 13. I generally just ignored their demands until they got a little more adamant. Then I convinced them that I needed my shoes and they left.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
in Mumbai, I was in a taxi with 2 collegues, and all of our baggage, coming from a train. the colegues were indian. the driver pulled over and a car pulled up behind us, and 4 guys got out of it, surrounding the car, obviously friends of the driver. so here we are on a back street of mumbai, 5 of them and 3 of us, with one of us old and one really wimply, and me not in the best shape in the world. it would have been very easy for them to take all of our stuff, including cell phones and computers. anyway, they basically start negotiating - "the taxi was broken, and they needed money to fix it" basically. so, what would have been a $2 ride, they wanted $50, and we negotiated them down to 10 or 20, and they left us by the side of the road. I found it ammusing that their goals were so low.
Wow. India seems safe compared to Pakistan. I know one guy in Lahore who's been robbed at gunpoint twice in the last year for his cell-phone (in broad daylight.) The first time he was walking home around 8PM talking on his phone (a motorola razr) and a guy pulled a pistol on him demanding the phone. He said no, and got into a fight with the guy. Luckily the guy only pistol whipped him and didn't actually shoot, which is rare there. He was in hospital for a few days after that. Almost exactly a year later, he's sitting in his car mid-afternoon with a friend waiting to pick someone up. He's showing his friend his new iphone. Someone runs up on the car wearing a mask with some kind of automatic weapon (I'm not sure what kind) and puts it to his friends head saying he'll shoot unless he gives up his iphone. Without a word, he hands it over and the guy hops on a motorcycle and escapes. These guys were both pretty rattled by it, and swear that the weapon looked like a police-issue weapon. They're both convinced it was a cop who did it, but no one in Pakistan will arrest a cop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads