Have you ever been mistaken as a salesperson?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lemmywinks, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I learned pretty soon to not go shopping at malls in business clothes.
    +1, I think this thread is a lesson to SF-ers to not overdress. When the store however is significantly classy enough to where a suit shouldn't be out of place, it is fairly ignorant and offensive of someone to assume anyone wearing one must be a salesman. But it's those ignorant people who are probably more embarrassed than you at the end of the day.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1, I think this thread is a lesson to SF-ers to not overdress. When the store however is significantly classy enough to where a suit shouldn't be out of place, it is fairly ignorant and offensive of someone to assume anyone wearing one must be a salesman. But it's those ignorant people who are probably more embarrassed than you at the end of the day.
    alright! Svenn is back!

3. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

You guys need more swagger. [​IMG]

+1. I've been mistaken for a salesperson quite a few times, most recently in an Oxford Street clothing store in London.

4. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

While wearing a suit at bestbuy. Lady asked me for help and explained that she thought I was the manager. I mean, even the managers wear baggy polos and chinos! People just lack sense

5. habanos

habanos Senior member

At grocery stores alot. Now i wear my sunglasses inside and it don't happen!

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

While wearing a suit at bestbuy. Lady asked me for help and explained that she thought I was the manager. I mean, even the managers wear baggy polos and chinos! People just lack sense

Correctamundo!!

7. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

I don't get out as often as I'd like to shop, but I have been mistaken several times for being a sales rep.

8. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I'd say it's a pretty bad thing if people mistake you as a sales rep when you are wearing a suit.

9. guest

guest Senior member

i was mistaken for an attendant at a gas station just recently. no joke lol! ah my forays into workwear have been successful.

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

I have been mistaken for help at an HEB grocery store, wearing a 3 piece suit and tie. [​IMG]

11. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

I'd say it's a pretty bad thing if people mistake you as a sales rep when you are wearing a suit.
    I don't think so. Most people are so nailed to the picture that anyone in his right mind who dresses well must have some sort of sales rep function, thus some kind of external constraints must be involved which prevent them from wearing "comfortable" clothes. They are just not accustomed to environments or social stratums where suits (or proper coats with dress slacks) are the typical form of attire. Therefore they also have no idea to differentiate between well-made suits and cheaply made stuff, it's all the same for them. Not a bad thing, just a simple misunderstanding.

12. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Wearing a suit to anything but a job, wedding, or funeral is generally considered ignorant nowadays.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

This subject again, always amusing. Yes I have.

Usual issue - wear a suit in a shop where the staff are overdressed if they wear trousers rather than jeans and folk think that you are manager or even own it. Even in some if I leave my coat in the car to dress down and the staff wear trousers, it can happen.

Good opportunity to make the confused person involved squirm though.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It happens all the time. I will usually be shopping with a friend or girlfriend or something as I don't really go into clothing stores much. I love it when somebody at Uniqlo or J. Crew asks you if you got your bespoke suit at their shop. I am like really? Really? I have also been asked if I am the manager of a lot of random places, such as an angry customer at the cinema when I was walking to the bathroom.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Honestly I'm usually mistaken as the owner, yesterday for instance: "Oh, this must be your design firm?"

Otherwise most usually assume I'm a big client of the store, which is rarely the case.

If you guys are being mistaken as security guards or the help than you're doing something seriously wrong. Aside from Patrick, who we know dresses well, but must be meeting a lot of dumb people.