• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever been completely happy with a sportscoat or business suit?

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
There's a quote from Charles Dickens that says, "Probably every new and eagerly expected garment ever put on since clothes came in, fell a trifle short of the wearer's expectation."

Have you ever been completely happy with a sportscoat or business suit? Or has there always been some small splinter of an issue? The fabric is not smooth somewhere, the fit is very good but not quite right in one aspect, there's something about the cut that could be improved to be a bit more flattering?

ckgs

Reaction score
Yes... my Hickey Freeman main line suit leaves me nothing to complain about.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

I recognise what you say when I was starting out in business but with my current tailor Gordon Yao in HK) absolutely happy.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been entirely happy with any RTW or MTM sportcoat or suit. Even some bespoke items have fallen short. That's why I started using Chris Despos for suits/coats/shirts. It may take a bit of back and forth with anyone to get things final, but with Chris, the finished product meets every expectation.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not yet, though I have one that is quite close. I'm specially obsessive-compulsive about jacket skirt fit and armhole depth.

Last edited:

Cubits

Reaction score
The next one will be perfect!

Yes... the next one...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great quote. Funny timing for me as I'm I've become obsessed with a needle prick in the inside of a suit jacket.

lwmarti

Reaction score
Absolutely.

I'd say that I'm completely happy with five out of 14 suits and two of five sport coats. Which means that I'm not completely happy with most of what I own.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although I've had lots of disappointments with suits, even bespoke ones, over the years, I'm very pleased with the suits I've bought over the past year.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I have no complaints with my charcoal Phineas Cole, but then again, I am a noob. We'll see what faults I can find with it after a year or two.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of bespoke suits that I am completely happy with.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My weight has been fluctuating too much lately to have anything perfect...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads