• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you curtailed your buying?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has the economic slump affected your shopping?
I have pretty much everything I need although that hasn't stopped me in the past - but I find I am tending to pick up smaller things like ties and sweaters at the moment, several from the excellent B&S forum.
If I were to consider a suit I would certainly think more about the purchase now than a year ago.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The selection, or lack thereof, is having a larger effect....

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are more deals to be had right now if you are smart and have the extra money. Prices don't seem as crazy on some items on E-Bay I got a Zegna suit last week for $80 and I was the only one who bid, and it looks like brand new.

Also many places are having insane sales. The one high end mens clothing store here had occaisonal sales, I've recieved two e-mails since Thanksgiving on sales they were having.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it has. Increasing level of potential job loss anxiety has done wonders to my debt levels, indirectly limited my spending activities.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, huffheinz.

I've been picking up a few pieces lately and will continue to do so, but not as frequently. The uncertainty has been a factor, and for me, a crappy Canadian exchange rate even more so.

andyw

Reaction score
I've become more selective and focusing on higher quality in the belief of better value to price. So still shopping at the same rate. I've also noticed the stuff triaged from my closet for auction fetches less.

mert54

Reaction score
It has for most stuff, however, not for shoes, surprisingly. I've just seen a lot of great shoes recently, but I haven't bought so much as a T-shirt for about 2 months.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My income is still $0 like it's been for the last 4 years. Luckily, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about a job for the rest of my life.

Never say never though.

bjm

Reaction score
I had curtailed my buying until I found SF recently. Now a couple of weeks later I am in for 1 MTM suit, A RLPL suit and cashmere jacket oh and a pair of JL Chapels...all on sale mind
smile.gif

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
The selection, or lack thereof, is having a larger effect....

Don't quite understand, you think there is less selection due to the economy?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjm
I had curtailed my buying until I found SF recently. Now a couple of weeks later I am in for 1 MTM suit, A RLPL suit and cashmere jacket oh and a pair of JL Chapels...all on sale mind
smile.gif

Get away....before it's too late. Too late.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Has the economic slump affected your shopping?
I have pretty much everything I need although that hasn't stopped me in the past - but I find I am tending to pick up smaller things like ties and sweaters at the moment, several from the excellent B&S forum.
If I were to consider a suit I would certainly think more about the purchase now than a year ago.

I would agree. And like you I do have everything I "Need", especially since I picked up my beautiful BB suede Chukkas...
smile.gif

I do find myself thinking twice about pissing away $$ on useless Stuff; eg., Electronics, Gadgets,cell phones, PDA's, More Clothing that I'll never wear.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have been considering selling more of my clothes off as part of recent belt tightening but I'd imagine prices I'd get right now wouldn't be great?

Conversely, I'd imagine more people are flocking to cheaper alternatives like the B&S forum so maybe I'd still get prices I want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads