1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Have You Costanza'd?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Feb 18, 2009.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I ruined a shirt this weekend (it was wet and came into contact with a plastic shopping bag on the way to the laundry). It was not a favorite, so no terrible loss, but it immediately reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George refuses to throw out a stained shirt because "The collar's okay. I wear it under sweaters."

Would You Costanza?

2. Sander

Sander Senior member

[​IMG] right now it stands 1:1:1.
    I voted for no, never. Funny thing is, I just recently watched that episode and knew by just reading the title what you meant.

3. Cid

Cid Senior member

I have a white Brooks Brothers OCBD, no breast pocket, from ~1993 that can't be shed for a number of reasons. It has a black ink stain near one of the sleeve plackets. Unfortunately, I didn't know about Amodex at the time, so the stain set. Still wear it under sweaters and with rolled sleeves in warm weather.

I also have a MTM Brooks Brothers tattersall dress shirt with 2 small ink stains on the left breast. Haven't worn it in years, but it still hangs in my closet. I guess I'll relegate it to shine cloth duty one of these days.

4. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

Absolutely, I wear sweaters so often that a bit of ink or a worn out elbow doesn't stop a shirt from keeping its spot in the rotation.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I regularly Costanza good shirts with sleeves that are a bit too short.

6. why

why Senior member

I thought this thread was going to be about dressing depending on mood.

7. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I don't know if this quite what you mean J, but I have some 7-8 year old Eton shirts that I can't bear to discard even though I've gotten great mileage out of them. The collars and cuffs are reasonably worn, but I keep them in semi-rotation.

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I regularly Costanza good shirts with sleeves that are a bit too short

I should have included a definition. That doesn't qualify. Here goes:

Costanza
    verb
    1) to retain and wear a badly stained shirt, esp. "under sweaters" when the "collar is okay"

If you want to start your own thread about how, if it were socially acceptable, you would drape myself in velvet, go ahead. [​IMG]

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I figured we were to discuss shrinkage.

10. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

+1. I've got a blue and white striped Paul Stuart button down that I do this with.

11. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I recently ruined a pair of Sutor suede loafers buy accidently using a brush with shoe polish residue to apply suede cleaner. I can't bring myself to chuck them [​IMG]

Edit - I didn't know this applied to shirts only.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I do this also for other varying reasons. Some shirts I'll only wear with certain suits because of shirt sleeve / suit sleeve length disparities, some I'll wear only under sweaters because the fit is loose, etc.

I have one shirt that I accidentally burned a hole through in an ironing mishap, but its too new to throw out so it's gettin Costanza'd too.

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

I thought this thread was about waiting for a suit (shirt/pants/etc.) to go on sale and then putting it in a different size section so your fellow 38 short thinks it has already been sold.

'What's this! It appears this suit has been misplaced! Nonetheless, I shall purchase it.....'

1 person likes this.
  14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I should have included a definition. That doesn't qualify. Here goes:

Costanza
    verb
    1) to retain and wear a badly stained shirt, esp. "under sweaters" when the "collar is okay"

I see. I'm not part of the Costanza shirt crowd then.

15. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

16. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

I thought it was going to be about walking around the office doing nothing but staring intently at a sheet of paper, or am I getting my refrences mixed up?

In answer to the OP, yes. My first, (and only) Sea Island cotton shirt has an inkstain right on the end of the left sleeve placket. I just can't seem to bring myself to toss it, so it ocassionaly gets worked in under a sweater. It's other purpose is to serve as an expensive reminder to not purchase overpriced RTW shirts at retail...[​IMG]

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

When I read the title I just knew this was gonna be about eating an eclair from the garbage.
    +1 (and add aluminum stained pits because of my refusal to wear undershirts which make me look fatter about the waist)

18. AdamInSF

AdamInSF Senior member

My shirts are, for now, stain-free, but I would definitely Costanza any if they were irreparably stained. I have "Costanza'ed" a tie that has a stain and which I have yet to send off to Tiecrafters for repair.

19. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have some much-loved shirts that are so well worn that they have to be worn under sweaters, but none with stains.

If I kept one with an enormous stain, there'd undoubtedly be a Costanza twist in which some bizarre circumstance forced me to remove my sweater in public, to my complete humiliation.

2 people like this.
  20. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

You know what sucks? I've had two nice shirts get stains ONLY on the collar, making them virtually unwearable and un-Costanzable.