• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have we ever talked about backpacks?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Which do you guys like? I was thinking about going with North Face. I need a real backpack for bike riding and long walking distances. Still all intracity travel though.. not mountain biking or anything.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using the same LL Bean one for my entire four years of college (tradly!). It still looked like new until just the other day when I broke one of the adjusters, which was completely my fault.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Which do you guys like? I was thinking about going with North Face. I need a real backpack for bike riding and long walking distances. Still all intracity travel though.. not mountain biking or anything.

I just sling around a messenger bag for schepping around the city on my bike, usually a Timbuk2 - not as stylish as my Varvatos leather bag, granted, but more practical, and built to be worn on a bike.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I definitely want a backpack though. I have a couple trusty messenger bags, but I want something now for both shoulders. Its a lot more comfortable for me and I don't want my drawing materials and computer smacking around anything (which tends to happen a lot with my messengers).

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a north face. One of the black ones that everybody has in NYC, i think it's called the sling shot. I wouldn't trade it for any other in the world, it's the best backpack i ever had.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I definitely want a backpack though. I have a couple trusty messenger bags, but I want something now for both shoulders. Its a lot more comfortable for me and I don't want my drawing materials and computer smacking around anything (which tends to happen a lot with my messengers).

I had a really comfortable Invicta bag, improbably subdued in a grey color (they typically come in some really bright pastel combos) that I picked up iun Florence a while back.

Still use it sometimes. Padded back, small, but with a zip that could expand the bag, and a zip compartment on top for litle things. Very useful and not too dorky.

I also own a grey flannel wool with cotton canvas and bridle leather strap canoe bag from Engineered Garments. It can be used as a backpack or messenger bag, and can hold pretty much everything you need (the capacity is pretty big). About as stylish as a backpack gets.

Jack Spade also has some pretty interesting backpacks from time to time.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Timbuk2 the void daypack, very very nice and very solid. BTW, ebags.com is having a sale atm so you might want to check that out.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

If you want a technical backpack designed for comfort over longer distances North Face is a good place to start. The primary thing is comfort. Different packs and brands are designed for different backs. I don't know what's avalible in SoCal but I would hit up a store specializing in hiking or outdoor gear. I really like Arc'teryx packs, they're extremely well made and comfortable for my body type (tall and athletic/skinny) and are very simple and subdued in design. However, I have no idea if they're avalible in your area. You might also want to try Lowe Alpine and Marmont.

A.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a NF for school. It's very well designed and durable.

The main difference between a NF type bag and something like Kelty or Dana Design (my favorite, although I haven't tried them since they became subsumed in Marmot) is that the latter will have a frame (whether internal or external) that will transfer weight to the hips, making your load much more comfortable and easier on your back. However, they tend to be rather bulky, so that might not be the best choice for an urban environment.

I haven't been in the market for a technical pack for a while, so there might be some smaller, more streamlined pack that does have a frame, which would be ideal. Like Aaron said, go to a store specializing in backpacking and such, (i.e., not a Sports Authority.)

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also on the lookout for a sturdy backpack for my occasional walking travels in other cities.

i'd probably take a look at Arcteryx first since i've got a skiing/boarding pack from them that is just amazing but a little too large for about town.

i've also heard great things about packs from Cold Cold World, http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/ozone.htm, but have yet to find a local distributor where i can try their wares. an A-16 in your neighborhood may have them (and would definitely have TNF packs other people are recommending).

also, something to consider when purchasing a pack is whether you want a top loading pack or a traditional zippered pack. the top loader will not be as organized but give you a better center of gravity (ummm...for avoiding all those...tourists). i've always hated the zipper on backpacks which seem to break all the time.

happy shopping and definitely let us know what you eventually decide on.

-Jeff

Chip

Reaction score
Supreme. ok backpack sturdy, functional...all that good stuff.

2000dB

Reaction score
I have a Porter backpack that is really good for my 12" powerbook. The material is nice but it's small and the shoulders are not very comfortable for long distances.

Dangydang

Reaction score
I had an old NF bag, but I felt the padding on the back of the bag and the straps were too hard and stiff. I'm using a Patagonia one now and couldn't be happier. More stylish than the NF ones too, IMO.

familyman

Reaction score
North Face, Patagonia, Arcteryx, Mountainsmith, EMS, even the REI house brand packs are nice. Hiking model packs are generally meant to take some abuse, be waterproof and last you a long time. You may give up a little style to achieve those things.
I have a Mountainsmith bag that I bought before my second year of college 12 years ago. It saw 5 more years of college in 3 countries, trips to Europe, Mexic and the caribbean, rock and ice climbing from Alaska to Michigan to California, hunting in Montana and Michigan, used as a diaper bag for a while with my first born. I'm taking it as my carry on tomorrow when I fly to my parents to pick up a truck. I need to send it back to have them replace a couple of buckles, but the pack has endured more than I could have reasonably asked of it. My sister can tell you similar stories about a Lowe Alpine pack she's had for 8 years now through school and boxing gyms and moving back and forth between the midwest and NYC. A good quality pack will last you longer than you care to use it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads