Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Have we ever talked about backpacks?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Brian SD, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Tabris

Tabris Well-Known Member

I use a Savier bag. Best bag I've ever owned. Damn shame Savier went out of business [​IMG]

2. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

northface, REI, or dakine.

The dakine heli-pro is the classic backcountry ski/snowboard pack. Everyone's got one.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I thought that Brian was looking for a backpack for schlepping around the city. You don't need a technical pack for that.

4. Cake

Cake Well-Known Member

For long walks and bike rides, I think you should aim for comfort first and think about style next. Getting good shoulder straps is the key. NF backpacks would probably not have the most comfortable straps around. You want something foam meshed and breathable, perhaps with a compression strap at the sides to keep the pack compact (if the contents aren't full) and its centre of gravity close to your back. The way the straps are designed is also important as well, an S-shaped strap would conform to the shape of your back/shoulders/arms/hips better and will be the most comfortable. Some brands have this, e.g. Deuter and the higher end Jansports in double ripstop fabric (not all Jansport bags, though). Also you want a hip and/or chest strap as well so that the pack doesn't move around much while you're cycling or walking.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have a Tumi backpack that I rather like.

6. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Maybe we never talked about backpacks because no one looks good with a backpack? [​IMG]

!luc

7. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

Maybe we never talked about backpacks because no one looks good with a backpack? [​IMG]

!luc

Hey, just because I like imagining myself as a ninja turtle doesn't mean you can insult backpacks. Hmmph [​IMG]

8. nomovement

nomovement Senior member

I have a Porter backpack that is really good for my 12" powerbook. The material is nice but it's small and the shoulders are not very comfortable for long distances.

If this guy is talking about head porter (http://headporter.org/) then, this was the best answer-all of those technical backpacks are going to make you look like a suburbanite. skatebord backpacks are also pretty cool and cheap and not mainstream-some (like mine) even have padded laptop compartments. my messenger bag collects dust.

9. 2000dB

2000dB Senior member

If this guy is talking about head porter (http://headporter.org/) then, this was the best answer-all of those technical backpacks are going to make you look like a suburbanite. skatebord backpacks are also pretty cool and cheap and not mainstream-some (like mine) even have padded laptop compartments. my messenger bag collects dust.

Yes, I was talking about headporter. I have the Atmos designed one and I think it looks ok with jeans and a tee but it's not the most versatile backpack.

10. nomovement

nomovement Senior member

11. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Damn. So much too look at . I have a headache now.

13. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

14. nomovement

nomovement Senior member

Headporters are not good backpacks, they are essentially the Dior Homme of backpacks, overhyped articles of clothing/accesories that aren't really that good quality? And honestly, on superfutureians would bomb 400 on a backpack.

yeah, I'm full of shit on top of that. I have a $40 popwar bag that I really like-laptop compartment, padded back and, I swear, spots to hide your weed...If only I smoked..[​IMG][/IMG]

15. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I also own a grey flannel wool with cotton canvas and bridle leather strap canoe bag from Engineered Garments. It can be used as a backpack or messenger bag, and can hold pretty much everything you need (the capacity is pretty big). About as stylish as a backpack gets.

I was going to recommend this pack. Got one at the recent Steven Alan sale and it's really, really nice. It's well-made, comfortale and stylish. I have a Mountain Hardwear pack I use for hiking and skiing and while it's great, a technical pack like that is really overkill if you're just running around town.