• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Have to get up at 4AM. Should I bother sleeping?

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Flight is at 6 AM sharp which means I'll have to get up around 4. Should I even bother going to bed? I slept till noon today, which means I'll probably stay awake till 1 or 2.

Connemara

Reaction score
plz halp

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you can crash into deep sleep immediately on arrival, and screwing up your sleep pattern further doesn't matter; go to sleep.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuck no. If you ever plan to be anything in life, and not work for the government, you'll need to pull all-nighters. This would be perfect practice.

It's mostly mental. Don't look at it as staying up until 4 am. It's really only 16 hours, the same as getting up at 8am and staying up until midnight. If you do get sleepy, brew some coffee or slam a Red Bull.

edit - my sleep patterns are as screwed up as our economy right now.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you slept until noon today, it shouldn't be a problem. Have a good flight, Conne.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Unless you can crash into deep sleep immediately on arrival, and screwing up your sleep pattern further doesn't matter; go to sleep.

I take early flights and tend to agree based on my own experience. Even if I get two - three hours of sleep in, it's better for me than going without any.

Connemara

Reaction score
Thanks bluemagic.

OK, I will at least try to sleep. Not sure how well I will slumber; the night before travel always messes with me because I cannot help but think I'm forgetting something.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't slept for the last 51 hours, lightweight

lizmasc

Reaction score

That's hardcore

For the OP, you should just go to bed earlier and sleep whatever you can, then get up, get ready and sleep some more on the plane

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Flight is at 6 AM sharp which means I'll have to get up around 4. Should I even bother going to bed? I slept till noon today, which means I'll probably stay awake till 1 or 2.
When I worked in the video game industry, I often had to work ridiculous hours. Trust me, even 2-4 hours of sleep is better than none.
You'll still feel like warmed-over shit, but you'll be in less danger of dozing off at the drop of a hat or getting into an accident while driving. Another interesting thing is that some (but not all) ppl seem to have fairly set REM-sleep cycles, time-wise (mine is a pretty steady 1.75 hours, i.e. I tend to wake up after 5.25 or 7 hours of sleep), and it seems to be best to schedule sleep such that you get full cycles in. For me, that'd be 1.75 or 3.5 hours, if I'm riding the low-sleep train. YMMV.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Seems like I read somewhere that as little as 20 minutes of sleep can be beneficial.

I've found myself in similar situations from time to time. Typically I've just gone to bed, figuring that I'd have more endurance with a couple of hours than with none at all. It sucks hard waking up, but a shower always helps with that.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I suggest getting as much sleep as you can. It has to be 2-3 REM cycles for me to feel rested, in the span of 7-9 hrs. Otherwise, I find myself plotting all kinds of conspiracies against various world governments and institutions.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
I realize the thread is already over but don't do it. Might as well stay up. You can sleep on the plane.

TWICE- I stayed up cramming for a final and thought I could sneak in a good 45 min.- 1 hr. nap. Guess what? Slept through the finals. Both times. Shat myself when I woke up.

Luckily I had very lenient professors.

If you have 4 hours or more- sleep. Less than that- be careful.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast

Please tell me that you don't do air traffic control.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Please tell me that you don't do air traffic control.
I don't think they let 15 year olds do that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 275 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40