• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have somebody bought and wear "worn" Shoes

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never bought second hand or used shoes... allways new

I found a nice pair on ebay and to save on shipping I bid on another pair, a nice pair of tasseled loafer spectators, without noticing they were "Gently Worn"... the pics show the soles as almost new...

I got the "Gently Worn" shoes for $ 0.99... and then reading the add noticed they are worn... go figure...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I would like to know if there are fellow forumites that actually buy and wear worn shoes...

What is your experience with it ?
Does it feel right to you ?
Do you clean them first inside and outside ?

Maybe I should just receive them and give them to some friend or thrift/charity store ?...

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought pre-worn shoes both on ebay and at thrift stores. I generally would buy only gently worn high-end shoes. I would not buy if anything gave me cause for concern.

The outside typically would need a polishing. The inside is wiped down with a disinfectant cleaning product and sprayed; although I would not keep if anything made me believe more was necessary.

This has been a means for me to acquire shoes that would normally cost in excess of $350 for less than $50.00. I have also purchased used suits and sports coats.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, with varying degrees of success. A bit of TLC at the outset and new heels tends to help things along pretty well. I have a pair of Ferragamo monk-straps that I bought secondhand and completely adore. If they have been polished and tree'd then I wouldn't have serious reservations.

Used running shoes - much less likely to purchase, unless demo models. Those wear too quickly and are not serviceable to the same extent as dress shoes.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only two pairs - one Peal for Brooks Brothers which may be Edward Green or C&J, and one C&J tuxedo shoe. Both were under $50 and had limited wear. Both went to the shoe repair shop for cleaning inside and out before I wore them. The first are now rainy day shoes, the latter get worn very rarely. In both cases they were good deals, and have saved me from spending precious resources on something I didn't think was a good use of said resources. Now I have too many shoes, or at least too little space for them, so may not buy any more used.

Fabro

Reaction score
Yes, I have. There are some real vintage gems out there from classic British makers that can often be brought back with a little work on the uppers. I have a pair of EGs I bought which, after some TLC, look just great.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of black AE Park Ave.s of ebay for abour ~$30. From the pic, they seem to be in fair condition, but I figure that if I invest $100 in having them recrafted by AE, I will have a like-new pair of Park Aves for $130.
Thats pretty ok in my book.

Reaction score
Pre-loved shoes are great. Put a little baking powder inside the shoe to resolve that not-so-fresh feeling.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I just got a pair of black AE Park Ave.s of ebay for abour ~$30. From the pic, they seem to be in fair condition, but I figure that if I invest $100 in having them recrafted by AE, I will have a like-new pair of Park Aves for $130.
Thats pretty ok in my book.

But I regularly see New Park Avenues for around $130 on ebay ...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
But I regularly see New Park Avenues for around $130 on ebay ...

But I haven't, at least not in my size, so I figured I'd take this windy, roundabout road to discount Park Aves. I have never use dtheir recrafting service before, but from what I understand, its pretty solid.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
It seems like a poor investment if you're not saving at least 200%...but if you can get EG's or AE's for 75 dollars or some such, I'd jump at it...
Besides, when shopping on ebay, I always remember the military code:

Military intelligence wasn't.
Precision bombing isn't.
Suppressive fire won't.

And add to that:

Gently used weren't.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have, many times. You can find the full range of used (and new) shoes on EBay, from worn-out garbage to $1,500 Lattanzi shoes that were worn two or three times. If you know your size, what brands to look for, and are careful about not buying shoes that are a wreck, you can find some fantastic deals.

DShareef

Reaction score
I am completely on board with buying gently worn shoes on ebay. In the last two months, I have acquired a pair of AE Sanfords and AE Chesters for less than $50 combined. Both are in excellent condition requiring little more than a polish and some baking soda.

summej2

Reaction score
This is easier to do with women's shoes than with men's. My wife regularly picks up $400+ shoes for <$25 that appear, from wear on the soles, to have been worn only a few times. This is good for her, since her prohibition on meat bans leather also (as it should since good shoes use veal hides).

Men tend not to buy "event shoes" and, thus, the picking isn't as good. I have bought EGs for $15 used, which I consider a good deal.

My usual treatment for all used shoes is a washing inside and out with Lexol and Lysol inside, followed by Lexol conditioner and a regular wax and polish.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
This is easier to do with women's shoes than with men's. My wife regularly picks up $400+ shoes for <$25 that appear, from wear on the soles, to have been worn only a few times. This is good for her, since her prohibition on meat bans leather also (as it should since good shoes use veal hides).

Men tend not to buy "event shoes" and, thus, the picking isn't as good. I have bought EGs for $15 used, which I consider a good deal.

My usual treatment for all used shoes is a washing inside and out with Lexol and Lysol inside, followed by Lexol conditioner and a regular wax and polish.

There are $400+ leather free shoes????
butbut.gif

Also, how does she feel about your cow-murdering habit?

Dan-

Reaction score
I got a pair of used Park Avenues for $37 shippped. Definitely worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads