1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Have somebody bought and wear "worn" Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lakewolf, Sep 15, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've never been comfortable with worn shoes so I've never bought any.

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

My friend got used shoes at the local thrift shop for $3. Cap toe oxfords, black. Leather soles. They were comfortable enough that he wore them all the time. Then the heel came off one of them. [​IMG]

3. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I am too afraid of any bacteria or virus issues . I would purchase a jacket or some clothing that I could run through the Whirlpool Steamer and kill any critters but I am worried that a 75 steal turns into a several hundred dollar medical bill or worse something that transfers to my other shoes.

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Just check the level of wear based on the soles, barring a resole.

I bought a pair of EGs for a relatively low price, but they were not worn given their age. They're one of my favorite pairs especially considering how supple the leather has become. It just took a good polish to bring them back to life.

5. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

I've purchased a couple of pairs of AE's before on eBay. Both were had for under $80 and were in decent condition. I've found eBay to be a treasure trove for those whose budgets cannot permit $305 AE's, etc. It takes a little bit of effort and some patience, but it can pay off.

6. Waltar

Waltar Well-Known Member

my ae holts are "pre-worn" but after seeing the sole which was almost completely new and the shoes had no creases in them what so ever, i think i got a deal at $47 shipped. [​IMG]

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

You can get good deals on preowned AEs and Aldens, though designer brands such as Gucci, Prada, etc. and top-names like E. Green and Lobbs tend to be overpriced secondhand.

8. lutfa

lutfa Senior member

I just purchased a used pair of shoes from the original discription length and width they sound like the perfect pair take in consideration this was my first pair of used shoes being purchased on ebay.I recieved the shoes the vamp was so high not a pad or four pairs of socks on .The shoe still fell off my foot without effert. I was not warned about this prior. Only a troll or someone or something with hooves could wear them. They even cost me 200 dollars plus shipping.Sent the shoes back still nothing .I feel like I got burnt wait a minute I did get burnt . Lesson learned for me know who your dealing with and you better know every single inch other than the width and length.I only expect to get stung once.It will never happen again. All other trials on ebay were fine before this . But they were also new shoes.

9. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

I would not be able to get myself to purchase and wear a shoe that someone else has worn, to me it would be close to wearing used underwear. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. migglesworth

migglesworth Member

I read an article on thrift shopping in GQ, in which the author talked drawing the line at buying used footwear after his friend called them "Dead Man's Shoes". That said, I've bought a pair of old Wallabies (someone definitely died in them), some nice wingtips, and a pair of Tod's driving shoes. Someone probably wore them sockless, like I do now, but I didn't go through any special precautions. Hope I haven't thrown anyone off...

11. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I read an article on thrift shopping in GQ, in which the author talked drawing the line at buying used footwear after his friend called them "Dead Man's Shoes". That said, I've bought a pair of old Wallabies (someone definitely died in them), some nice wingtips, and a pair of Tod's driving shoes. Someone probably wore them sockless, like I do now, but I didn't go through any special precautions. Hope I haven't thrown anyone off...

be careful with a athletes feet, fungus etc ...

12. kabert

kabert Senior member

If the insole is too worn for your taste, or you want to avoid someone else's foot fungus or cooties, it's an easy and cheap process to have a cobbler replace the insole. I've had it done with Ebay-bought used shoes a couple times at Sky Valet (in DC), with great results. Just make sure to get a high quality leather insole, not a junky vinyl one (as a cobbler once did for me, years ago). Another alternative is to buy a new insole from the shoe-maker. A couple years ago, I requested and was sent a new pair of insoles from Edward Green, for example.