• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have money, want to start a nice zen apartment

acconrad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm starting my first job out of college in July. It pays exceptionally well, and I'll be getting a 1 BR in Boston.

I'm going to be there for a least 5 years, and I'd really like to establish my own place. I can only imagine moving out if I get lucky in this market and throw some money down on a condo.

So my focus is buying quality that will last...I would rather by a $2500 bed/dresser set that will last for 20+ years than get some trendy set at Target, HomeGoods or Pottery Barn and having to buy new furniture every other year. However, none of that seems to be in the zen / minimalist department...i.e. restoration hardware or pottern barn can be modern and masculine, but usually not minimalist. And Ikea I've heard just doesn't hold up well at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions in starting with a totally blank canvas?

With a 1 BR, it basically leaves me with furniture/design ideas for a bathroom, bedroom, living room and kitchen. What do I start with first, and what stores / styles should I be looking out for?

Thanks,

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ikea dressers, nightstand and bookshelf and they have lasted for 4 years +. I dont know who these people are that say they dont hold up - are you climbing on them?

I dont have a bed set though, I can see how that gets worn out
bounce2.gif

Just do NOT skimp on a mattresss. I bought a ****** knock off matress after college for $200 (it was actually an ACME brand product) and never got good sleep in 4 years. Now I got a $600 one and sleep excellent.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I have ikea dressers, nightstand and bookshelf and they have lasted for 4 years +. I dont know who these people are that say they dont hold up - are you climbing on them?

I dont have a bed set though, I can see how that gets worn out
bounce2.gif

Just do NOT skimp on a mattresss. I bought a ****** knock off matress after college for $200 (it was actually an ACME brand product) and never got good sleep in 4 years. Now I got a $600 one and sleep excellent.

My Ikea bed broke down the middle after 1.5 years of use. I use books to prop it up.

The Snob

Reaction score
Oh, and also you should check out http://apartmenttherapy.com for design ideas. The "house tours" section is excellent. Please don't do a matchy matchy bedroom set. And don't discount the treasure trove that is ebay or CL or your local salvation army (seriously great finds in those sometimes).

mikej77

Reaction score
I bought a few nice items at Room and Board during their sale last year. I agree with the others posts though, don't skimp on the mattress.

chas

Reaction score
I think your idea is a good one and it is always nice to have quality things. However, take it from a 30 year old who lives in NYC and moved here right after college - don't rush too much. You will find that in your first few years out of college your tastes will change a good deal. The fact is that a $2,500 on a bed/dresser set really won't get you much and I suspect that you will grow out of it just as quickly as an Ikea bed/dresser set.

Just don't be in a rush. Start simple and add "long-term" pieces as you find them.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, you are just out of college, get your real life straightened out and save some money before you start buying "quality" items "that will last 20 years".

Cavalier

Reaction score
Your taste will probably change; right now, I would be willing to bet you're attracted to the 50/60's modern Eames style..... There's a good chance you'll eventually grow tired of it and realize the aesthetic is growing rather cliche

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out design within reach (hipsters only) and room and board (hipsters only). Also maybe Cappellini (millionaires/Matt only). You'll get a pretty good taste of what's out there. Then troll craigslist, flea markets and vintage/antique stores to actually buy your stuff (thereby establishing styleforum/snob cred).

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pottery Barn. Chicks love that stuff. They have some pretty good sales here and there and the quality is better than Ikea.

...or go to Ikea and use the money you save on clothes!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ikea does hold up well. It really depends on how much time you spend putting it together. I've moved around from place to place and for apartments where I have no intention of living I've brought the same Ikea Malm bed, desk, and dresser that I've had for 5 years, and they are all quite solid.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
japanese platform bed.

some DWR dressers or some such ****.

4 place saarinen table.

4 tulip chairs

sputnik lamp

dwr tv bench

should be on your way to a pretty typical quasi mid-mod apartment.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
You should throw in some bonsai. I could see it looking awesome in slick, modern pots. Maybe like white cubes or something contemporary looking standing in a line, 3 of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads