• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have kids gotten smarter?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or did we just relabel the slack jawed idiots "normal"?

My son is one of three or four kids in his class of about 30 considered "exceptional", and is in all sorts of specialized, individualized programs. In all my years of schooling, from elementary school through all of high school, I was the top student, and I was in the top 1% of my graduating class in college. I was never called "exceptional", nor did I know any "exceptional" kids during all that time. Were we just a stupider generation? Would it be too much to expect a cure for cancer, a solution to the crisis in the Middle East, and the invention of the holodeck, from my kids' generation?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Or did we just relabel the slack jawed idiots "normal"?

My son is one of three or four kids in his class of about 30 considered "exceptional", and is in all sorts of specialized, individualized programs. In all my years of schooling, from elementary school through all of high school, I was the top student, and I was in the top 1% of my graduating class in college. I was never called "exceptional", nor did I know any "exceptional" kids during all that time. Were we just a stupider generation? Would it be too much to expect a cure for cancer, a solution to the crisis in the Middle East, and the invention of the holodeck, from my kids' generation?

I dunno, I was "gifted" but I'm a few yrs younger than you. Gifted had the merit of sounding so lame that you would never be inclined to repeat it and neither were your parents.

As for today's kids well we'd have to weed them off Ritalin to see if there's anything in there but I'd guess no better or worse, but definitely with a different focus. I doubt less than a very small % of boys under 10 ever read a whole book but they can gather info quickly and go through multiples sources at the same time. I used to sit down with a book and shut out the world, little brats chat while they google, facebook, listen to music and text.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always hope that each generation is smarter than the last. Each generation must find ways to condense the cumulative lessons learned and teach that to the next generation as quickly as possible. That way the new generation can focus on generating new knowledge. Standing on the shoulders of giants. . .

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I was "gifted" or some **** in elementry and middle school, even though my grades sucked. Do you know what it does for you? You do extra work, that's it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kids of the old days were not coddled like they are now. Now every kid gets a trophy.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I was "gifted" or some **** in elementry and middle school, even though my grades sucked. Do you know what it does for you? You do extra work, that's it.

True. I just remember I needed to do all kinds of extra work a year early so that I would be able to take things like calculus and physics during my senior year of high school.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I remember my 8th grade teacher gave me and another kid an "assignment" of teaching class for a day on some random subject. Very clever, Mrs. Wilson, very clever indeed.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I remember my 8th grade teacher gave me and another kid an "assignment" of teaching class for a day on some random subject. Very clever, Mrs. Wilson, very clever indeed.

lol

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
True. I just remember I needed to do all kinds of extra work a year early so that I would be able to take things like calculus and physics during my senior year of high school.

We all took Calculus and Physics in High School, and none of us did any "extra" work. We just did the work that was expected of everyone.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
from grade 1-6 I was in accelerated english (they called it spelling). We used to use books from a grade-level above our own. I will not tell you guys what they named it, because it's extra ****.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all took Calculus and Physics in High School, and none of us did any "extra" work. We just did the work that was expected of everyone.

I'm really working to remember here. . .

I think 3 years of high school mathematics were required for a diploma. Algebra, geometry, and algebra 2.

Trig and calculus were offered. But to fit in 5 years of mathematics in 4 years meant doing extra work before high school to "skip a grade" and do the entire freshman year of coursework during 8th grade.

Similarly, I think 2 science courses were required for a diploma. I can't remember what they were. I took two biology courses, physics, and chemistry. Physics 2 got canceled my senior year because we didn't have enough people sign up for it. Again, without doing extra work in 7th and 8th grade, it would not have been possible to fit in 5 science courses.

I think maybe 20 people took calculus each year. Many failed.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In elementary school I was 'gifted'.

We spent like an hour of week in our own little gifted room. There was a computer in there
eh.gif

The only other thing I remember about it was doing these cool matrix puzzles.

grid.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I'm really working to remember here. . .

I think 3 years of high school mathematics were required for a diploma. Algebra, geometry, and algebra 2.

Trig and calculus were offered. But to fit in 5 years of mathematics in 4 years meant doing extra work before high school to "skip a grade" and do the entire freshman year of coursework during 8th grade.

Similarly, I think 2 science courses were required for a diploma. I can't remember what they were. I took two biology courses, physics, and chemistry. Physics 2 got canceled my senior year because we didn't have enough people sign up for it. Again, without doing extra work in 7th and 8th grade, it would not have been possible to fit in 5 science courses.

I think maybe 20 people took calculus each year. Many failed.

iirc, Senior Calculus, Algebra, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics were all needed to get into Engineering or Science, so (at my school, at least), people took those classes in droves. But things may be different now (I graduated from high school in 1993.) Of course, I'm also surprised by how many students manage to fail freshmen math.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, I'm also surprised by how many students manage to fail freshmen math.
But at least they know how to play with a fancy TI graphing calculator.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads