• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have I found my bespoke tailor?

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have recently relocated to Hudson County NJ. On a recent walk around my new neighborhood last weekend I noticed a tailor shop that also had shirting material visible in the window. Encouraged, I went back this weekend with 3-4 pants and 3 jackets that I need to have work done to.
Upon entering the shop, I immediately noticed fabric books all over the place, bolts of fabric for both shirting and suits, plus jackets in various stages of construction, as well as patterns, sewing machines and a huge device for steaming.
The gentleman in the shop was finishing a consultation with a client who from the conversation was obviously buying a bespoke suit. He was in his mid 60's, of Cuban descent.
It was also obvious during over conversation that he knew more about tailoring than anyone I had ever encountered, just from his feedback on the way my clothes fit. We got around to the topic of his pricing and he mentioned that he "sewed" clothes for way less than the prices I'd encounter in the city. When I pressed him he said exclusive of fabric cost he could make suits for less than $1000, jackets for $800; trousers for $200.
Cost is important for me, perhaps more than it is to the average bespoke customer. From what I had read in the forum, that seems a great price and I'd like to commission a few pieces of what would eventually be a small versatile bespoke wardrobe.
There is zero feedback of note on the internet. The neighborhood his shop is in is largely immigrant and working class so this doesn't surprise me as his clientele I presume is largely local.
Any tips on determining whether this is my guy or whether I am being seduced by his pricing? I assumed bespoke was out of my reach for a while, but if this guy can deliver than I can start right away. I will receive back from him the stuff I asked him to work on, but I don't know how good a judgement I can make from having some pants hemmed and different buttons sewn on a blazer.
Guys with bespoke experience, please share any tips that might help me decide to give this guy a shot or not, and also how to best communicate what I want if I do.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have probably found a local artisan who makes something in between MTM and bespoke albeit using a standard set of patterns - that makes it closer to MTM.

He might well produce something for you at a price you want to pay but be very careful that you like his styling BEFORE you order - he may well be fairly set in his ways if his local trade is undiscerning..

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks I assumed that the work isn't actually full bespoke at that price point, so I take your point. Any suggestions on sussing out the "house style" or whether he'll actually be any good at producing something outside of that and more to my specs w/o actually buying something?
Fwiw he was very friendly and pleasant, I tend to picture these old school Taylor's as being somewhat more gruff.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have him start with a sport coat. See how it turns out. If it works well, then go on to a full suit.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have probably found a local artisan who makes something in between MTM and bespoke albeit using a standard set of patterns - that makes it closer to MTM.

He might well produce something for you at a price you want to pay but be very careful that you like his styling BEFORE you order - he may well be fairly set in his ways if his local trade is undiscerning..

Definitely agree. He could do a great job, but make sure you like his cut before you buy. You could ask to see examples (actual garments best, otherwise photos) to determine.

Have him start with a sport coat. See how it turns out. If it works well, then go on to a full suit.

Good call.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, my intenti If I move forward is to commission a classic navy blazer and see what he turns out.
When getting something made is it normal to pay for the garment in advance, installments, or upon completion?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At those prices, the garments will almost certainly be fused, not that this is necessarily a deal-breaker in my opinion.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The prices he quoted were exclusive of fabric

^Oh, if those are the prices for CMT, then that's a different matter. I had assumed they were for the complete garment, fabric included.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a good tailor in my neighbourhood. If he's good and you understand each other, these guys are a dying breed and they need to be supported IMHO. People always recommend the big name city tailors here, but there are still really good tailors to be found like this. I hope it works out, but as you've already said you will do, start with a simple commission, and see what both the process and the outcome are like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics