Have I Figured This Out? (Pocket Square Related)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ChappyEight, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

So, I've been doing some studying up on pocket squares and the appropriate ways to incorporate them into one's attire. So, here is my first attempt. I have an upcoming function that I'd like to be my first foray into the PS world.

Here is the ensemble:

Suit: Navy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shirt: Either White or Light Blue French Cuff (can't decide if blue is too much color with everything else)
    Tie: Pink Paisley Bow Tie
    [​IMG]

PS: Light Blue Paisley?
    [​IMG]

Cuff Links: I have pink/white and blue/white silk knots or basic silver metal type.
    Shoes: (Dark) Burgundy
    Belt: Burgundy

My thought process is that the sky blue of the PS is complementary to the navy suit and the paisley pattern matches the bow tie paisley (which I think is acceptable, not positive). Further, would a light blue shirt be too much blue? I'm leaning toward a white shirt for that reason. Finally, I was thinking of going with the pink/white silk knot cuff links to incorporate with the tie.

A couple variations I've been toying with include:
    • Solid sky blue PS
    [​IMG]

• Paisley or Solid Burgundy PS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Paisley or Solid pale green PS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Paisley or Solid pale yellow PS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, this is my first attempt at sporting a PS, so feel free to call me a fool. Looking to learn and hopefully look good. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Thanks,
    Chappy

EDIT: Embedded images.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Pics??

3. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

Sorry, I linked to the sites in the OP. I'll update now so you don't have to leave the thread.

4. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

Okay, OP has been updated to include pics.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Short answer: no, keep trying. Read Manton's squarefail thread.

Longer: what event is this? Personally I wouldnt wear that bowtie under any circumstances. Paisley tie on paisley PS is also a guaranteed fail. Those solid silk PSs look kinda cheesy to me too.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Please, no paisley with paisley.

7. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

I'm open to all suggestions. Appreciate the honesty.

The event is our annual open house for my office. It's one notch up from business casual. I was looking for an accent color to stand out, but I don't want to look like a clown. I'm a big fan of bows, so I'd like to stick with that.

I'm flexible on everything else. I'm a bit of an overthinker at times, so I'm sure choosing a tie/PS combo isn't that difficult, but I'm complicating it.

Again, appreciate the advice.

8. unbelragazzo

Personally I'm very much against the "accent color" or "pop" of color idea. I like everything to kind of hit together more harmoniously without one thing sticking out. Given that the bowtie is already kind of a curiosity, I suggest toning down the color some. Maybe a repp stripe on a navy ground or something?

9. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

Awesome thread. Thumbing through it now...

10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Unless you want to be peacock-y, basic white linen/cotton will be fine. The bowtie pops enough.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

11. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

Thanks for that. Looking back, it appears as though I've gotten hung up on the color wheel and trying to implement too many complementary colors, etc. If I choose this tie, I will follow your white linen advice.

That said, in response to unbelragazzo and after having read the Manton thread, I'd be curious to get your opinion on the following BT/PS combo. I tried to tone down the BT and used a square which color which only had a small part in the BT. I do realize that the PS below do not have a border, something I would look to correct:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Option 2 (Not sure if you can tell from the BT picture, but there is a very thin line of green adjacent the pink):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Option 3:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a quick background on me, I'm 31 but have never had a need to be "fashionable" per se. I've recently lost a large amount of weight which has rejuvenated my spirit in regards to my appearance. Thus, I've been on a crash course to learn the ins and outs of dressing fashionably and classy. My ignorance is no doubt evident, so I thank you all for taking the time to respond.

12. FillW

FillW Senior member

Probably the best advice.

13. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Member

Agreed.

I'll follow it and try my hand at color coordination after studying a while longer.

14. unbelragazzo

Of these options, #3 is the best. #1 is a little "matchy" - when you have a somewhat rarely used color like pink (really this applies to any color that's not blue, brown, gray, or colors in the tan/cream/white family) and you repeat it in the tie and the PS, it looks very intentional and kind of cheesy. #3 repeats a color, but it's baby blue so it doesn't stick out as much. #2 just looks bad to me.

15. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

What kind of function are you attending that you'd include paisley in you r options?