1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Have I bought a woman's jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 1Dgaf, Jan 22, 2005.

1. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

I bought a GAP leather jacket from a charity shop. Â I wonder if it's meant for a woman. The jacket has a zip instead of buttons. Â When wearing the jacket, the zip - i.e. the part I pull up to fasten the it- is on the right hand side. Â On all the other coats/jackets in my house (which are certainly men's) the zip is on the left. It has three inside pockets. Â Two, for holding wallets, are on the inside left and right respectively. Â The third is for a mobile phone. Â This is on the inside right. Â In the other jackets I have with phone pockets, the pocket is on the left hand side. The size label says 'm/m'. Â I assume that means medium - but is it medium unisex or medium bird? Â Have I made a terrible mistake? Â It was on the men's rack in the shop.

2. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

Does the jacket have a lot of waist suppression? What colour is it?

I'm fairly certain you've purchased a men's jacket. I believe all of the zippered jackets I have (including a snorkel coat from the GAP) zip up from the right side (my understanding when you say "right side" is that the fastening mechanism for the zipper hangs on the right side of the zipper if you're wearing the garmet). I believe most women's jackets actually zip and button up from the left. My aformentioned GAP jacket also has a cell pocket on the right side, I think its a GAP design feature more than anything else.

Little arcane clothing trivia: don't quote me on this, but I believe women's clothing buttoning up from the left dates back to Victorian times when servants had to dress their masters and it was easier for someone facing the opposite way to button up the garmet.

3. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

I'm not very good at describing colours.  It's medium brown, darker than it is light.

The waist doesn't seem too suppressed - it's not heavily tapered at the bottom or anything.  One thing about it, though, is that it doesn't cover my bottom - at least not fully.  It seems a little short, though that might be acceptable in men's leather jackets.

EDIT:

Yes, the fastening mechanism hangs on the right when I wear it.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

My two leather jackets do not cover my rear completely, if that helps.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

It's not only American ties that run the other way, but also American zips. On a European jacket you have the slider on the left hand side, on an American one the slider is on the right. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. (Check out Avirex or Schott jackets.)

I'm pretty certain yours is a man's jacket, in a lady's jacket the sleeves would be far too short. If your bum (butt) shows, that's a question of design. That style is called a blouson.

6. stache

stache Senior Member

If it were a ladies' jacket it would more than likely have bust darts of some kind.

7. Crockett

Crockett Well-Known Member

I was kind of wondering about that. I have a Zegna that has the zipper mechanism on the left. It seemed kind of funny at first. I always reached for the wrong side to release the zipper.

8. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior Member

If you really want to find out, wear it in Selfridges. If the (male) sales assistants smile at you, it's a woman's jacket.

9. BarePaw

BarePaw Active Member

(bengal-stripe @ Jan. 22 2005,13:44) It's not only American ties that run the other way, but also American zips. On a European jacket you have the slider on the left hand side, on an American one the slider is on the right. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. (Check out Avirex or Schott jackets.) I'm pretty certain yours is a man's jacket, in a lady's jacket the sleeves would be far too short. If your bum (butt) shows, that's a question of design. That style is called a blouson.
    I was kind of wondering about that. I have a Zegna that has the zipper mechanism on the left. It seemed kind of funny at first. I always reached for the wrong side to release the zipper.
    I have a Wilson's Leather jacket with the zipper tab on the right hand side.

10. Nonk

Nonk Senior Member

ViroBono wrote
    You did'nt pop in there in RAF uniform did you VB? [​IMG]

11. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

How tall are you?

12. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

13. Kevin_lee

Kevin_lee Member

Can you post a picture of the jacket?