• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Have I bought a woman's jacket?

1Dgaf

Reaction score
I bought a GAP leather jacket from a charity shop. Â I wonder if it's meant for a woman. The jacket has a zip instead of buttons. Â When wearing the jacket, the zip - i.e. the part I pull up to fasten the it- is on the right hand side. Â On all the other coats/jackets in my house (which are certainly men's) the zip is on the left. It has three inside pockets. Â Two, for holding wallets, are on the inside left and right respectively. Â The third is for a mobile phone. Â This is on the inside right. Â In the other jackets I have with phone pockets, the pocket is on the left hand side. The size label says 'm/m'. Â I assume that means medium - but is it medium unisex or medium bird? Â Have I made a terrible mistake? Â It was on the men's rack in the shop.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the jacket have a lot of waist suppression? What colour is it?

I'm fairly certain you've purchased a men's jacket. I believe all of the zippered jackets I have (including a snorkel coat from the GAP) zip up from the right side (my understanding when you say "right side" is that the fastening mechanism for the zipper hangs on the right side of the zipper if you're wearing the garmet). I believe most women's jackets actually zip and button up from the left. My aformentioned GAP jacket also has a cell pocket on the right side, I think its a GAP design feature more than anything else.

Little arcane clothing trivia: don't quote me on this, but I believe women's clothing buttoning up from the left dates back to Victorian times when servants had to dress their masters and it was easier for someone facing the opposite way to button up the garmet.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
I'm not very good at describing colours.  It's medium brown, darker than it is light.

The waist doesn't seem too suppressed - it's not heavily tapered at the bottom or anything.  One thing about it, though, is that it doesn't cover my bottom - at least not fully.  It seems a little short, though that might be acceptable in men's leather jackets.

EDIT:

Yes, the fastening mechanism hangs on the right when I wear it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My two leather jackets do not cover my rear completely, if that helps.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not only American ties that run the other way, but also American zips. On a European jacket you have the slider on the left hand side, on an American one the slider is on the right. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. (Check out Avirex or Schott jackets.)

I'm pretty certain yours is a man's jacket, in a lady's jacket the sleeves would be far too short. If your bum (butt) shows, that's a question of design. That style is called a blouson.

stache

Reaction score
If it were a ladies' jacket it would more than likely have bust darts of some kind.

Crockett

Reaction score
It's not only American ties that run the other way, but also American zips. On a European jacket you have the slider on the left hand side, on an American one the slider is on the right. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. (Check out Avirex or Schott jackets.)

I'm pretty certain yours is a man's jacket, in a lady's jacket the sleeves would be far too short. If your bum (butt) shows, that's a question of design. That style is called a blouson.
I was kind of wondering about that. I have a Zegna that has the zipper mechanism on the left. It seemed kind of funny at first. I always reached for the wrong side to release the zipper.

ViroBono

Reaction score
If you really want to find out, wear it in Selfridges. If the (male) sales assistants smile at you, it's a woman's jacket.

BarePaw

Reaction score
(bengal-stripe @ Jan. 22 2005,13:44) It's not only American ties that run the other way, but also American zips. On a European jacket you have the slider on the left hand side, on an American one the slider is on the right. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. (Check out Avirex or Schott jackets.) I'm pretty certain yours is a man's jacket, in a lady's jacket the sleeves would be far too short. If your bum (butt) shows, that's a question of design. That style is called a blouson.
I was kind of wondering about that. I have a Zegna that has the zipper mechanism on the left. It seemed kind of funny at first. I always reached for the wrong side to release the zipper.
I have a Wilson's Leather jacket with the zipper tab on the right hand side.

Nonk

Reaction score
ViroBono wrote
If you really want to find out, wear it in Selfridges. If the (male) sales assistants smile at you, it's a woman's jacket
You did'nt pop in there in RAF uniform did you VB?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a GAP leather jacket from a charity shop. Â I wonder if it's meant for a woman. The jacket has a zip instead of buttons. Â When wearing the jacket, the zip - i.e. the part I pull up to fasten the it- is on the right hand side. Â On all the other coats/jackets in my house (which are certainly men's) the zip is on the left. It has three inside pockets. Â Two, for holding wallets, are on the inside left and right respectively. Â The third is for a mobile phone. Â This is on the inside right. Â In the other jackets I have with phone pockets, the pocket is on the left hand side. The size label says 'm/m'. Â I assume that means medium - but is it medium unisex or medium bird? Â Have I made a terrible mistake? Â It was on the men's rack in the shop.
How tall are you?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami