• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Haute couture for men?

Mitch D

Reaction score
I was just curious: Are there designers creating haute couture for men? People who truly push the boundaries of men's fashion? I realize that there isn't nearly the demand for such fashion,as there is for women. But,as more and more men are gradually allowing themselves to enjoy dressing well,perhaps there might one day be a market for bolder,high quality pieces. So,what would you like to see?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doesn't "haute couture" mean "high sewing?" if that's the case, then kiton and oxxford are making haute couture for men. if you go to a good custom tailor and ask him to make you a red velvet jacket with mink fur lapels and 24k gold buttons, would that be haute couture? i'm not sure i understand the question.
wink.gif

sucka d

Reaction score
I kinda understand what you talking about and as for now, i dont think the demand for such pieces will reach the womans wear level. That being said, you are right, much more men are taking risks and dressing a lot better. However, that fashion loving male segment is small and unofortunately, that is the driving market for many fashion labels out there.

Mitch D

Reaction score
doesn't "haute couture" mean "high sewing?" if that's the case, then kiton and oxxford are making haute couture for men...if you go to a good custom tailor and ask him to make you a red velvet jacket with mink fur lapels and 24k gold buttons, would that be haute couture? i'm not sure i understand the question.
wink.gif
Without question,Kiton and Oxxford make superb,handsewn and bespoke menswear. I'll try to be more clear. Women's haute couturiers take more risks,experimenting with innovative fabrics and cuts. The results range from "pimpish" (although I doubt we'd see any velvet jackets with mink collars
biggrin.gif
) to arty. Â I know there isn't the demand for such fashion among men yet. Whether it's because most men don't wish to get in touch with their "inner peacock" or what,I don't know. I just think it'd be exciting to see menswear taking some of the same chances that womenswear designers do -- if only to see what they could create. Something more daring than a subtle change in the slope of a shoulder,or the fit of a jacket waist.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at music stars.

What about Elton John and (the late) Liberace? David Bowie in various incarnations? Marilyn Manson. Whomever is/was dressing them was certainly taking some pretty unorthodox approaches to mens' fashion.

Gaultier has done some men's stuff that is pretty avant guard

That weird buckled clothing from the other thread probably qualifies here too.

Is it interesting to look at? Yes. Would I wear it? No.

Is it likely to appeal to a significant segment of men?

No.

Kai

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it interesting to look at? Yes. Would I wear it? No.

Is it likely to appeal to a significant segment of men?

No.

The same could be said of (women's) haute couture, the purpose of which is not wearability, but theatre, or at least, spectacle. I'm not that familiar with the H.C. world, so I won't comment further. Some of the getups that Jean Paul Gaultier comes up with are are probably the closest men's equivalent. I personally advocate the Manchu royalty circa the Boxer Rebellion look. Great hair (especially for already balding men), and those sleeves hold lots of surprises (flying hats on the end of a metal that decapitates victims, anyone?) My kung fu is stronger than yours.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gaultier for sure
but you can add everyone and anyone from rei kawakubo to martin margeila to wim neels to raf simons as all pushing the envelope (and teetering sometimes on the edge)

the true focus does remain on the women's wear, after all, that is the bigger market for everything ready to wear and parfums rely upon

ulf

Reaction score
When we talk about Haute couture, remember that only a small handfull of the Parisian houses actually make a profit off of it. The real money lies in perfumes, sunglasses, ready-to-wear...

The couture shows are mainly marketing, needed to keep their official, prestigious status as a Parisian House. (The syndicate has strict rules.)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to recall that Gianni Versace had at one time or another had a couture atelier for men. If you will look at certain pieces they had Gianni Versace Couture instead of the regualr Gianni Versace. Atelier Versace is ther haute couture line.

In terms of couture like clothing Jean Paul Gaultier, and Carol Christian Poell to an extent make that type of clothing.

However in terms of couture level craftsmenship the above mentioned brands are all of that level, and especially Gaultier for cutting. If the flamboyance doesn't fly with you there is always bespoke Kiton, et al which is the closest right now that men's haute couture can go at least in the tailoring aspect.

Most haute couture shows are for the prestige, and performance of the particular house. For example if anyone is familiar with Gallaino's designs for Dior the ensembles shown are hardly wearable at least in the way they are presented on the runway.

The Federation Francaise de la Couture has extremely strict rules. When Pierre Cardin produced his first pret-a-porter collection in the 60's the Federation expelled him from the association. Very few houses produce actual haute couture, and even fewer Italian based houses. Armani, Fendi, etc. do not have that line whilst some prominent ones that do are Versace, and Valentino. There is also Vivienne Westwood(Gold Label), Ungaro, and Chanel. Christian Lacroix was the last, at least for this moment, to open an actual couture atelier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads