• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hats - What is a general opinion on wearing them?

Andre Murphy

Reaction score
I ask this question as I have a liking for hats, I habitually wear a country style flat cap made with differing materials for different conditions. Now I am thinking of branching out into other styles of headware but I am not quite sure where to go as there seems to be dearth of hats on the street other than baseball caps or beanies. The point of this post is to gather opinion and advice on hat style and wearing. I quite like the idea of a Fedora for for general wear and a Panama for summer am I on the right track?

Regards

Andre

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The flat-cap/trilby resurgence has gone a long way to making hats more wearable for younger guys. Fedoras are still treacherous territory, as they can look rather Indiana Jones, but there's not the stigma to hat-wearing there once was. The key, I think, is to make sure the clothes are appropriate to the hat -- no T-shirts and fedoras -- and everything fits properly. Then you just have to have the self-awareness to assess honestly how the hat looks on you, both in terms of face shape and overall look.

The last part's the tricky bit.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was always brought up that a gentleman never leaves the house without a hat! I wouldnt go quite that far but I habitually wear tweed flat cap swhich I seem now to collect. That said I'm a country person so at home its an normal way to dress, however I have no qualms about wearing hats in London either. I agree with the poster above - if you feel a hat is appropriate for you and your comfortable wearing one then wear it - a Panama is always smart in my view

Charlie

williamson

Reaction score
My feeling is that a hat should be worn for practical reasons, so a Panama for sun protection is fine. The other functions of a hat - protection from cold or rain - mean that hats are appropriate (and look particularly good) when wearing an overcoat or raincoat; the choice between cap and trilby/fedora will depend on the style of the coat worn (a cap looks fine with just a jacket).

ElDave

Reaction score
If you are not A) Justin Timberlake, B) a cowboy, or C) one of those older guys who has such an aura/mystique about him that you question if he actually time-traveled to the present from a bygone era, just don't wear a hat except casually.

With that said, I have a plain navy ball cap from JCrew that I sometimes wear on the weekends and I like it a lot.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you enjoy wearing a hat and the styling suits you and you have a sense of what to wear one with, then wear one. No permission needed from anyone. Women worth knowing are attracted to a clean, well-appointed man wearing a hat. Believe it. It is tradition, pageantry, mystery, adventure and romance all rolled into a single accessory. The most important thing you need to pulling off the look is to not take yourself seriously becasue that kills it. Have confidence and you'll give most people a smile with this look (or any other look for that matter). Hats are functional fun.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.