• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in Vietnam

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
I know that there are a few of you out there who either live in Vietnam or visit on a regular basis. Do any of you know of anybody in Ho Chi Minh City, or Saigon, as you may prefer to call it, who makes custom-made hats? I lament the fact that a fedora or snap-brim hat is no longer a part of a gentleman's outfit, but I am happy that I live in a city where you can get the clothes and shoes a well-dressed gentleman should wear at a fraction of the cost of any place in the US, Australia, or Europe, and if there was a place here that made decent hats, I'd be even happier.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
that one...no idea. Have a look around Facebook for Adam. Nice guy. He set up the 'another side of Vietnam' Facebook group, which is pretty funny. He - mostly for irony - sports a hat whenever he is out and about...no idea where he gets them.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the "shoes in Vietnam" one to chime in
tounge.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only type of hat suitable in Vietnam, IMO:
Ao%20Dai,non%20la1.jpg

leaf-hat-tourist.jpg

And yes, I've seen men look good in them.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
not common but not altogether untrue, although more in the north than the south. BTW whacked - when we hung out, I don't recall you wearing a non la. Youre small, size down 2
tounge.gif

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I read somewhere that pith helmets are popular in Vietnam.

One could indulge their inner colonial.

Yes, a pith helmet would be just the thing to wear with my khaki bush jacket and breeches, while I'm draped in a mosquito net and taking my daily quinine dose as I oversee the coolies on my rubber plantation.

Other than a few that I've seen people wear in the countryside, and one or two here in HCMC, the only pith helmets I've actually seen on people's heads are on flights out of Tan Son Nhat airport, where the tourists wearing them couldn't find the room to pack them in their luggage. They do sell them here, most of them have VC or NVA insignia on them, to make them more appealing to tourists who are only familiar with Vietnam through Hollywood films.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Well, it looks like for now I'll have to be satisfied with the hats I brought with me: a Panama Stetson fedora ("hand woven in Ecuador"), a cap I bought at a bullfighters' pro shop in Seville, and, most importantly (if only to keep my glasses dry from the rain), a fitted baseball cap from the San Francisco Giants, the greatest baseball team ever. Never mind that they were just eliminated from any playoff contention this season. If anybody has any tips on places that make hats either here in Saigon, or in "tailor-made clothes heaven" Hoi An, or even Hanoi, please let me know. Hell, please let me know if there are any good hatmakers in Singapore, Bangkok, or Hong Kong. Also, I'd appreciate any tips on how to remove the sweat stains on the Panama's hatband. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics