• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats & Fedoras

kcgreg

Reaction score
Could someone educate me in wearing hats? Should I wear a fedora? What make should it be? What's the difference in fur or felt or wool etc.? Please help. Kindly appreciate all the input and thanking you gentlemen in advance.
teacha.gif
smile.gif

Tyto

Reaction score
KC:

A couple of questions:

1. Do you want a hat as part of a fashion statement, or will it be more functional?

2. What do you wear on a daily basis (jeans, suit, sportcoat, chinos, etc.)?

3. What is your price range?

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyto
KC:

A couple of questions:

1. Do you want a hat as part of a fashion statement, or will it be more functional?

2. What do you wear on a daily basis (jeans, suit, sportcoat, chinos, etc.)?

3. What is your price range?

1. It will be more functional rather to being a fashion statement because it is almost winter here in New Zealand. 2. Sportcoats on a regualr basis. 3. Never really thought of a price range.

Tyto

Reaction score
KC:

You have several options, depending on your emphasis. You could consider fedoras, tweed driving caps, "ambassador" caps, or other fur hats, depending on your preference. Because you often wear a sportcoat, almost any of these could work for you. The fedora might be the most flexible, if not the most warm, as it would also protect during sunnier months. (I also happen to find fedoras the most stylish option.)

Prices for fedoras range far and wide, depending on the style and quality you want. Some decent vintage felt could be had on Ebay for as little as $50 if you find the right auction, or you could go custom and spend anywhere from $275 to over $500, with either vintage or new felt.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with Akubra hats--my Akubra Leisure Time is my favorite everyday hat. It's not top end, but it's good, solid rabbit fur felt that has been taking an 11-year beating and still looks good.

Ed13

Reaction score
I wear fedoras and tweed driving caps for winter. For summer I have a straw panama. I wear a fedora if I want to be more formal while the driving cap is nice and casual. Also the driving cap is easier to stuff in a pocket when inside.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that for your first hat it's best to be fitted at a quality hat shop(with a large inventory) by an experienced fitter. Brim and crown size, as well as color, are important considerations when selecting a hat.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Brilliant guys - keep 'em coming. I love all this information and I will consider getting fitted for this.
tongue.gif

Dicko

Reaction score
my old man wears a dark grey short brimmed akubra hat, looks pretty sharp.

ddonicht

Reaction score
Wearing hats in today's age is as much about confidence as anything else. If you want to wear a hat and you are confident doing so, then do it. As for style, you are going to 20 different suggestions from 20 different people. A lot of it depends on face shape, head size, and what you like. If you can, go to a local store or stores and try some on.

As for materials, straws are good for summer and keeping the sun off but you certainly wouldn't want to use in the rain. If you are working outside for a long time, something like a waxed canvas works. If you are going to possibly get some rain but not be out in it for a long time, then wool will work well. Fur felt is nice but it is more expensive and I wouldn't purposely go out into a deluge with it.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Brilliant guys - keep 'em coming. I love all this information and I will consider getting fitted for this.
tongue.gif
Just break out and get a Fed IV heritage felt from hatsdirect.com. Best value hat in the world. If you size is say 60 you buy 61 or 59 you buy 60 etc. If your like a bigger brim - go for the Heritage felt Campdraft in silverbelly and go the fitting that is your head circumference actual size. The Fed IV is a dimensional brim cut (not round on all sides) so it looks like the 40s style 'The Sullivans' era Fedoras. The rabbit fur on the Heritage felt is like almost beaver quality. The alternative is a MTM beaver from vintagesilhouettes.com at around USD380. Art Fawcett makes them in Oregon USA.

Last edited:

lenahan

Reaction score
I wear a charcoal fedora with black band everday, with a small feather. I love it, and it is surprising practical as winter approaches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads