• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats! any one wearing them?

Gladhatter

Reaction score
I love to be dressed nice and put on my sunday best and a fine hat and go for a night on the town.

I have not had that pleasure for the past four years as I have spent my days and nights rescuing a dying global hat trade and am making some in roads in this area.

I also have been training an apprentice hatter that now exceeds the teacher to the point I rarely do any hands on hatting now and do administrative and other duties.

Anyone here wear or like hats?

I find it so odd to find men of style and fashion to not incorporate a hat in to the equasion.

I see several attorneys seem to be on board here and we have several attorney clients but the one that bought 300 hats and said he always picked a hat and then choose an outfit to go with it. He seemed to think he would convert the entire hamptons area into hat wearing but I do not think he susceeded.

We also have several doctors as clients and the one while having just a small but growing colllection of I think 35 as of the one we finished today says similarly that he chooses his hat and then his outfit.

I have never been the most stylish dresser but I have always worn a hat daily for well over 30 years.

What about you guys and hats.?

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I have a black fedora, dearstalker, and a panama. Pretty much covers all the bases but eventually I'd like to get a grey fedora.

Tj I like you love a grey fedora and always make that my first hat but recently I have been wearing browns.

I have some really high end Panama's but do not wear them and end up giving them to friends as I am just a felt hat guy.

One of our avid clients wears dear stalkers and I have to plead ignorance as I do not even know what the hat style is or what its for. Stalking deer ?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those rare and curious beasts almost never without a topper of some sort--usually a fedora, although in the winter I sport a homburg about once a week. Given the paucity of follicles on my upper precincts, a hat's valuable for keeping my head warm in the winter and for blocking the sun's rays in the godforsaken summer.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
One of these days I intend to pick up a Homburg. At this point, however, I just have a driving cap to use when the top is down and the 25% Brit in me takes over.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm one of those rare and curious beasts almost never without a topper of some sort--usually a fedora, although in the winter I sport a homburg about once a week. Given the paucity of follicles on my upper precincts, a hat's valuable for keeping my head warm in the winter and for blocking the sun's rays in the godforsaken summer.

What is your homburg like VG ? I have long considered building me a really modified version of a homburg similar to one we done for a gentleman in Austria but time never seems to permit and I may get to wear it a couple times in my life as most so it continues to go to back burner.

We done a take off of the hat from the movie age of innocence. We done an ok job on it but could do a better job if given another chance and I really wish to build that hat again some day. It was the {edit name correction} Newland Archer hat from the lake scene I think it was in winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads