Hatfields & McCoys

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by lefty, Jun 5, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Anyone catch this? Watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good overall. Condensed timeline but seems fairly accurate. Costner really nails "Devil Anse" and Paxton does a fair "Ole Ran'l."

lefty

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

It seems accurate? I admit I didn't pay attention to the trailer TOO much, but the impression I got was they were going to depict an all-out war, when the reality was far more boring. Maybe I just misinterpreted it.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

There is some license, but there were a few all out slaughters as I remember.

Either way, I think it's a good show.

lefty

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've enjoyed it

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I would have liked to have seen it, but six hours seemed like a bit much to me.

One thing that puzzles me is that quite a few commentators discussing the series describe it as a "western." This seems an odd turn of phrase for events that occurred around the Kentucky/West Virginia border. That area hadn't exactly been "the West" for almost a century before the two clans began a-feudin'. Any idea why it would be called a "western"?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

People shot each other with pistols?

It did drag a little at the end and it became pretty tough to follow who was who and what they had done. It was interesting how integrated the families were by marriage or work. McCoys seemed to get the short end of the stick for the most part.

lefty